Starting Line-Up
Copp (Smith 90+1)
Fleetwood (Wells 90+3)
Shephard (Lowes 85)
Unused subs
The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier
Bob Lucas Stadium
Kick Off
Davis 35, Thomson 54
Frome Town
Summers 75
Thomson, Cooper
Frome Town
Sent Off
Frome Town
Martin Bloor
Frome Town
Starting Line-Up
Cleverley (Green 85)
Bryant (Jackson 56)
Jefferies (Knight 72)
Unused subs

Frome foiled by Matthews’ troops

WEYMOUTH did enough to end their three-game losing streak in the league and secure three points against an in-form Frome side at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Terras were boosted into a two-goal lead thanks to Charlie Davis and Ben Thomson and, despite Nathan Summers heading home 15 minutes from time to set up a tense finish, the hosts held firm to record their sixth league win of the campaign.

With the pressure well and truly on him following Saturday’s 2-1 loss at Redditch United, Weymouth player-manager Jason Matthews made three changes to his starting XI.

Out went Ashley Wells, who dropped to the bench in place of Stephane Zubar, who was deemed fit enough to start following a calf injury. That meant Jake Wannell reverted to left-back.

No nonsense midfielder Dean Evans returned following suspension to face his former club, he came in for Billy Lowes, who was among the substitutes.

Striker Stuart Fleetwood, whose loan deal was extended a day before the clash, also started in place of Stewart Yetton.

Yetton’s absence meant Conor Jevon, having scored five times for the reserves at the weekend, was named on the hosts’ bench.

Frome player-manager Josh Jeffries named himself in the visitors’ squad that only included four substitutes.

The Robins had gone into the contest eight games unbeaten in all competitions and, in what was a lively opening, the first chance of the contest fell to the away side.

After Weymouth conceded an early corner, a delivery was swung deep into the box and Robins’ midfielder George Miller, unmarked, volleyed just wide.

Weymouth responded quickly however as, after some neat build-up play, Davis worked Kyle Phillips in the Robins’ goal with a fierce effort.

But with just three minutes gone, from a similar position, Davis found the net at the second time of asking. Following a Weymouth corner, the ball fell to the former AFC Bournemouth youngster, who curled a precise effort into the net past Phillips for 1-0.

Terras’ striker Thomson then put in a heavy challenge on Frome skipper Sam Teale, a tackle that earned him a caution against his previous club.

Frome then looked to fight back as Weymouth were caught in a wide position. Jon Davies, who caused the Terras problems in the reverse fixture earlier in the campaign, breezed past midfielder Davis and fizzed a ball across goal, which just evaded a sliding Aiden Kirby at the back post.

A big decision then came from the match officials as Frome’s Connor Roberts raced in on goal and put the ball home, only to be flagged offside in what looked a tight call on the half-hour mark.

Six minutes before the break, a big chance for Weymouth’s Fleetwood then went begging. He raced onto a throw-in on the left hand side, and, after turning inside and out, bent an effort just past the far post.

A left-foot stinger from Chris Shephard which was well saved then brought the opening period to a close with the Terras holding the advantage.

And nine minutes following the interval, their lead was doubled. A ball was played through to Thomson, who may have been offside.

Nevertheless, he ran in on goal and forced a save from Phillips and, while Copp’s follow up was parried, it fell back to Thomson to tap home.

Just a minute later, Thomson then had a chance to wrap it up. He again raced clear but blazed over when one-on-one.

Copp then had a chance to make it three after keeper Phillips raced off his line and saw his clearance charged down. The ball fell to Copp and, with the goal at his mercy 30 yards out, he dragged the ball well wide. Winger Copp then delivered for Thomson, who glanced a header off target.

Copp continued to cause a threat down the left hand side and after beating his defender again, he cut the ball back for Thomson once more, whose low drive was well saved. Fleetwood then had an effort saved from close range in the aftermath.

But while Weymouth created a heap of second-half chances, it only took Frome one to get on the scoresheet.

A Robins’ corner was met by a bullet header from defender Summers to make it 2-1 and set up a nervy final 15 minutes.

With the Robins pushing forward, a Davies free-kick deflected just past the post and, from the resulting corner, Chris Gregan blazed over at the far post.

Matthews then pulled off a sublime save with six minutes left to keep the victory intact, racing off his line to deny Kirby.

Similar Posts