On our Facebook page we have been asking you to name your ultimate Terras 5-a-side team. We have put together the most frequently nominated players and are giving you the chance to vote for who goes into the final team. We’ll be polling a different position each day to build your ultimate team.

Now it’s time to vote for your Midfielders.

Tony Agana

Tony was born on 2nd October 1963, in Penge, London.

He joined Weymouth in March 1984 from Welling United for £5000 as part of a double signing that included Andy Townsend.

Having made his debut at Enfield on 10 March 1984 he went on to make 180 appearances (1 as a sub) and score 48 times goals in a Weymouth shirt.

He was winner of the Weymouth Player of the Year award in 1984-85 and 1985-86, and represented England at semi-professional level in 1985-86.

He moved to Watford in August 1987 for a fee of £20000 and made just 12 appearances (3 as sub) and scored once before moving on to Sheffield United in

February 1988. After 105 appearances (14 from the bench) in which he scored 32 times a £75000 fee took him to Notts County in November 1991.

Whilst at County he made 114 appearances (31 as a sub) and scored 15 times, but also undertook a loan spell with Leeds United (2 appearance with 1 coming as a sub.

On his release in 1997 he joined Hereford United and scored 7 goals in his 22 appearances (2 as a sub) before moving to Cliftonville in 1998.

He had a spell as manager of Leek Town (in 1999) Guisley as player manager and finished his career at Alfreton Town.

After ending his playing days, Agana took an IT course at a local college and graduated with a degree in computer visualisation from Sheffield Hallam University in 2004.

Following this he found employment as a distance learning technology officer for Manchester University but was still a regular fixture at Bramall Lane, Sheffield as part of the club’s match-day hospitality team.

Abdulai Baggie

Abdulai signed for the Terras in October 2017 after being released from Poole Town. Baggie is a Sierra Leone international who has 5 caps to his name. After the success of his first season Abdulai decided to re-sign for the 2018/19 season.

Abdulai Baggie was part of the Weymouth side which won the Southern League Premier Division in 2018/19.

Baggie was named as the Terras Player of the Month for August 2019 after scoring 3 times in 7 games.

Paul Buckle

Born on 16 December 1970, in Welwyn Garden City, Buckle started as an apprentice with Brentford, turning professional in 1989. He spent time on loan with Wycombe Wanderers in 1993 (3apps), before being released in 1994. He had scored once in 57 appearances for the Bees.

He joined Torquay United in February 1994 and made 59 appearances, scoring 9 goals, before signing for Exeter City (Oct 1995: 22apps 2gls), moving to Cambridge United (1app) Northampton Town, Wycombe (Oct. 1995) Aylesbury United (2006-7: 2apps) and then Colchester United in November 1996. He made 106 appearances and scored 7 times at Layer Road before – on 2 July 1999 – he rejoined Exeter City and recovered from an ankle injury to make 96 appearances (5gls) before moving to Aldershot for the 2002-03 season, quickly being named captain of the Shots. Having made 42 appearances, scoring 5 goals, he moved to Weymouth at the beginning of the 2003-04 season. At this time he remained employed as youth team coach at Exeter City.

In November 2004 he was placed on the transfer list – at the time of his release he had been doubling as caretaker manager and felt he had been promised the chance to take the role on a full time basis, but the appointment of Steve Johnson as manager proved that expectation to be false. His contract was cancelled on 2 December 2004 as he was allowed to leave the club having made 70 appearances (7 as a sub) and in which he scored 15 goals.

Although continuing his work at Exeter City (4apps) he signed a playing contract at Tiverton Town (12apps 1gl) in December 2004, later moving to St James Park as player-coach.. He made a further 64 appearances and scored 7 times. In the summer of 2007 he joined Torquay United, as manager, to guide the Devon club in their first season following relegation from the Football League.  In May 2011 he decided to take the reins at Bristol Rovers, but found himself dismissed in January 2012.

He went on to manage Luton Town in April 2012, but left in February 2013 ”for personal reasons” and moved to the USA where he was appointed as Technical Director at the Metropolitan Oval development academy in New York in November 2013.  He was appointed to oversee all soccer related activities at the club as well as to coach the under 14 side.

Pete Conning

Born in Broadgreen on 18th October 1964 and signed from Rochdale in July 1987. He had also played for Altrincham – winning the FA Trophy. In 1987-88 played for England at semi-pro level.

After leaving Weymouth he moved to Yeovil for £13000 and then played for Bashley, Dorchester and Tiverton Town (winning 2 FA Vase’s.)

He returned to Weymouth play as a guest in a friendly in 1993-94 and again in 2000-01 to help out with the reserves, although – on this occasion – he did make one substitute appearance for the 1st XI.

In March 2002 he returned, again. to Weymouth to assist the reserve team, but at the end of the season he moved to Bridport to take on the player-manager’s job.

He then moved to Portland United in a managerial capacity later in the same season, but quit Grove Corner after a few months and returned to Tiverton Town as assistant to Martyn Rogers. In 2006 he took on a coaching role at Yeovil’s academy.

Although Conning scored 25 goals in his 101 appearances (5 as sub) he will best be remembered for the brace he scored at Yeovil in the 1988 – 1989 season, at least by those who suffered so much that relegation season.

He then became a FIFA licensed Player’s Agent.

Lee Elam

“Bestie” was born in Bradford on 24 September 1976 began his footballing career in 1998 with Southport. During his four years with the team, he played in 104 first team games in which he scored 15 goals. After leaving Southport at the end of the 2001–02 season, Elam joined Morecambe.

During the 2002–03 season Elam made 40 appearances for the Shrimps, scoring 13 goals, as well as picking up 4 England Semi-Pro caps. After only one season at Morecambe, Elam joined Halifax Town for the beginning of the 2003–04 season.

On 31 October 2003 after only 15 appearances for the Shaymen, Elam moved to Yeovil Town. Elam made only 12 appearances for the Glovers before moving on loan to Chester City for the remainder of the 2003–04 season, making 4 appearances.

At the beginning of the 2004–05 season, Elam signed for Hornchurch (13apps 2gls), but after only six months Elam signed with Burton Albion on 5 November 2004.

Elam made only one appearance during the month of November for the Brewers before moving back to Morecambe for the remainder of the season (23apps 5gls).

Elam began the 2005–06 season with Crawley Town where he made five appearances before – on 27 September 2005 – joining Weymouth. Elam was voted Player of the Year by fans on the club’s website at the conclusion of the 2005-06 season, but was transfer listed on 10 January 2007 after the club decided to cut their financial costs (69(6)apps 10gls).

He was picked up on a free transfer by neighbouring Exeter City on 15 January 2007. His first match for Exeter was against Weymouth and he scored a hat-trick. He was released by the club in May 2008 (40apps 9gls) and subsequently trained with York City in July, but was not offered a deal and joined Altrincham on a part-time basis, where he would coach youngsters.

In January 2009 Elam requested to leave Altrincham (21apps) and joined Northwich Victoria on non-contract terms. In 2010 Elam left Northwich Victoria having made 41 appearances for the side, scoring no goals, and played 4 times for Bradford Park Avenue before he joined Stalybridge Celtic.

Elam’s Stalybridge career, as with Northwich, lasted only one season; appearing 29 times and scoring three goals for the club, as he moved on – in summer 2011 – to Harrogate Town (45apps 4gls) before linking up with Leeds based Albion Sports. He also has a job as a youth coach at Bradford City.

Ian Hutchinson

“Hutch” was born on 7 November 1972 in Stockton on Tees. His playing career commenced as a trainee with Halifax Town in 1989 although he remained until 1992 he was only to make 8 appearances at the Shay, scoring once.

He joined Berwick Rangers for the 1992-93 season and was to score once in his 20 appearances that season.

His next club was Whitley Bay where he made 5 appearances in 1993-94 before moving to Ireland to play for Cork City, where he made 4 appearances.

Returning to England he linked up with Gillingham for the 1994-95 season and was to make 41 appearances for the Kent club before returning to Halifax Town.

After 51 appearances he moved south to play for the Terras in the summer of 1995. He quickly became a fan’s favourite at the club and was to remain until he was released in May 2006.

At Weymouth he was voted Player of the Season 2000-2001 and won the most improved player award in 2003-2004.

He moved to Tiverton Town on loan on 21 October 2005 (for a month: 10apps 2gls) and later in the same season to Dorchester Town.

On his release he joined Dorchester Town on a match by match basis. However his training as a paramedic meant that he found it difficult to combine work and football.

He became player-manager at Bridport from May 2008 until 17 June 2009 (36apps 7gls) and then came to Weymouth as assistant manager to Mattie Hale. He became manager on 11 October 2009 after Hale had resigned but was relieved of his duties on 10 January 2010.  He returned – again as manager – on 17 April 2010. However after a series of poor results he was once again sacked in January 2011.

Jake McCarthy

McCarthy is equally at home playing as a centre-back or a holding midfielder. Jake joined Weymouth in June 2017 after leaving AFC Bournemouth.

Jake had previously spent a spell on loan at Maidstone United

McCarthy captained Weymouth to the 2018/19 Southern League title. He has made 111 appearances for the Terras so far, scoring 13 goals.

Mark Robinson

Born in Canterbury on 9th March 1975, Robinson – nicknamed “Curly” – played at Whitstable Town and Gravesend & Northfleet (from whom he joined Weymouth in 1997 for £7000).

As well as being voted as Away Player of the Year in 1997-98 he was voted Player of the Year, Players’ Player of the Year and Echosport Player of the Year in 2000-2001.

When Steve Claridge took over the managerial reins the popular “Curly” found it harder to make the side, spending most of his time on the substitutes bench (something that was to frustrate many of the club’s supporters as the early season title challenge began to fade) and – perhaps – it came as no surprise when he was released in May 2004, however he was immediately snapped up by Dorchester Town.

When the Magpies released him – in December 2007 – “Curly” swiftly signed for Poole Town.

In his spell at Weymouth he made 337 appearances (24 as a substitute) and scored 69 goals.

In 2010-11 he was persuaded to rejoin Weymouth to assist the reserves, but actually broke into the senior side as the Terras sought to get away from the relegation zone.

Ben Smith

Born in Chelmsford on 23 November 1978 Smith started his career as a trainee at Arsenal, signing as a professional for the 1995-96 season. Despite being a regular for the youth side he never made a senior appearance and chose to sign for to Reading in the summer of 1996. He made just one league appearance, as a substitute at Manchester City, before agreeing a move to Yeovil Town in March 1998.

He was to make 113 appearances – 12 from the bench – and score 15 goals for the Glovers where – despite being transfer listed in his second season – he remained until 2001. Smith had played a key role in Yeovil’s challenge for promotion to the Football League, but an agreed new contract offer was withdrawn when manager Colin Addison was sacked. Smith moved to Southend United on a free transfer in 2001, joining his former manager David Webb.

He struggled to make an impact in his solitary season at Roots Hall – making just 1 appearance as a substitute in league football) and left for Hereford United where he was to make 54 appearances – 2 as sub – scoring 19 goals before he moved to Shrewsbury in June 2004, but he lost his place after dislocating a shoulder in a LDV Trophy tie with AFC Bournemouth. Having made 24 league appearances (4gls) for the Shropshire club he moved to Weymouth, on a free transfer, in late January 2006, taking the role of club captain on Weymouth’s return to the Conference in 2006-07. In Weymouth’s first Conference match in 17 years saw Smith score the opening goal, in the first minute against Tamworth. He went on to play in every first team match for the Terras up until the turn of the year when the Terras sought to re-align their finances and he was released – on 25th January 2007 – leaving Smith free to join Hereford United in a deal worth £20K.

Smith made an impact on his return to Edgar Street against Notts County, hitting the post in the build up to the first goal and providing the assist for the second goal. He went on to play in all Hereford’s remaining matches of the 2006–07 season, scoring at home to Barnet in the process. He also wore the captain’s armband in many of the matches. Smith started the vast majority of Hereford’s matches in the 2007–08 season as the Bulls gained promotion to Football League One. He was also a regular fixture throughout the following campaign as the Bulls were relegated back to The Football League’s basement division.

During his two and a half-year stay at Edgar Street, Smith featured in ninety-nine league games, notching seven times.

Despite featuring regularly for Hereford United, Smith departed the club in the summer of 2009 signing for Crawley Town on a one-year contract. Smith was an influential figure during his first season at Crawley, featuring in thirty-four league matches, and scoring seven times, making him the club’s joint-second highest goalscorer for the season. Smith has agreed terms to spend a second season with the club. However he was loaned to Kettering Town (3apps) and  – on 31 January 2012 – Smith joined Aldershot Town on loan until the end of the season (8apps) In May 2012, Smith was released by Crawley after being deemed surplus to requirements.

After leaving the professional game, Smith worked as a teacher at his old school, Maltings Academy in Essex, having earned himself a degree in business management whilst playing for AFC Sudbury and Thurrock.

He was offered the chance to return to Weymouth for the 2013-14 season – where he had retained ownership of a property – but this was declined as he wanted to play near his employment.

Similar Posts