Weymouth’s unbeaten run ends in five-goal thriller


(Kedwell 15, Taylor 45, Ayunga 58)


(Hobson 20, McQuoid 41)

WEYMOUTH missed out on the chance to jump up to second in the Vanarama National League South table as they lost 3-2 at fellow promotion hopefuls Havant & Waterlooville on Wednesday.

The Terras headed to Havant on the back of a six-match unbeaten run in the league, with the Hawks the last side to beat Mark Molesley’s men in the reverse fixture back on New Year’s Day.

However, Weymouth came up short again as the Hampshire outfit edged a thrilling contest that featured five goals and a red card in the opening hour.

Molesley made two changes to the Terras side that started Saturday’s 1-1 draw away at Braintree Town as Stephane Zubar and Ben Thomson replaced Adeoye Olumuyiwa and Brett Williams.

The breathless nature of the contest was evident from kick-off and only the woodwork prevented an opening goal inside 20 seconds as Havant’s Josh Taylor hit the post.

Taylor continued to look lively and sent a header wide before Weymouth mounted their first attack as Josh Wakefield’s shot deflected wide.

Havant pressed again and broke the deadlock after 15 minutes as Danny Kedwell brought down a ball into the box before smashing home.

Weymouth responded quickly and levelled within five minutes as Shaun Hobson let fly with a superb strike from 30 yards.

Chances came thick and fast and Havant’s Andy Drury could not quite turn home a cross before Adbulai Baggie saw a shot blocked for Weymouth.

Taylor then had an effort cleared off the line before the Terras defence got themselves in the way of Anthony Straker’s strike.

Baggie then fired wide before Weymouth keeper Calum Ward was called into action to claim a Kedwell header.

After a string of opportunities, it took a penalty to produce the next goal as Weymouth took a 2-1 lead – although the spot-kick itself was missed.

Benny Read was deemed to have handled in the box and although keeper Ross Worner saved Josh McQuoid’s penalty, he netted the rebound.

However, parity was again restored before the interval as Taylor rifled home after a neat one-two with Bedsente Gomis.

Havant started the second half well and Nicky Bailey and Simon Walton went close before Jonah Ayunga tapped home to put the Hawks 3-2 up.

The hosts’ grip on the game loosened on the hour as Gomis was sent off following two bookings in quick succession.

After a frantic first hour, the contest began to peter out before Weymouth rallied in the closing stages.

The visitors saw claims for a penalty waved away after Jake McCarthy went down in the box before Jordan Ngalo saw a shot deflected wide as the Terras’ attempts to rescue a draw came up short.

HAVANT & WATERLOOVILLE: Worner, Read, Straker, Walton, Magri, Drury (Tarbuck 67), Kedwell (c) (Robson 71), Ayunga (Rutherford 80), Bailey, Taylor, Gomis.

Subs not used: Dennett, Paul.

Booked: Gomis (56)

Sent Off: Gomis (60)

WEYMOUTH: Ward, Harfield, Wakefield, Zubar (Brooks 60), Ngalo, McCarthy, Thomson (Williams 60), McQuoid (c) (Odubade 82), Baggie, Whelan, Hobson.

Subs not used: Childs, Olumuyiwa.

Booked: Whelan (29)

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts