Weymouth up to third after Bath stalemate



WEYMOUTH collected a valuable point at Bath City as their Vanarama National League South clash ended goalless in front of a jam-packed Twerton Park crowd of 1,902.

Bath came closest of either side to breaking the deadlock, substitute Ryan Brunt rattling the woodwork with a firm header from Sam Pearson’s cross in the second half.

However, there is concern over Bath midfielder Joe Raynes, who was stretchered off late on with a serious leg injury.

In earning a point, Weymouth rose to third in the league on goal difference after Slough’s shock 2-0 home loss to bottom side Hungerford.

The Terras, Slough and Bath rank third to fifth respectively, locked on 60 points, with Weymouth 23 goals to the good versus Slough’s 16 and Bath’s 12.

Overall, this was a successful day for Mark Molesley’s team, who picked up only their third point in six matches against the other four top-five teams this season.

Weymouth, who have now tasted defeat just once in their last 14 matches, made 10 changes to the side that began the 4-2 Dorset Senior Cup final win over Dorchester Town.

Only Jake McCarthy survived from Tuesday night with Calum Ward, Ollie Harfield, Tom Whelan, Ben Thomson, Josh McQuoid, Abdulai Baggie, Jaidon Anthony, Calvin Brooks, Shaun Hobson and Brennan Camp coming in.

Camp’s inclusion was of particular cheer to the Terras, with the Bournemouth loanee making his comeback from a six-week injury lay-off.

Weymouth enjoyed the better of the first half, clutching the majority of possession.

Captain McQuoid helped fashion the game’s first chance, winning a corner which fell for Whelan to blast over.

Soon after Bath’s Dan Ball earned the game’s first yellow, McCarthy teased a fine stop from the Romans’ Academy product Harvey Wiles-Richards, who rose well to tip over his free-kick.

It took until the 30th minute for Bath to register a shot on target as Tom Smith aimed a tame effort at away gloveman Calum Ward.

Bath then grew in confidence and seized upon a loose Weymouth pass, hitting the top of the crossbar with Ward scrambling.

Early in the second half, Smith again worked Ward who needed to be alert to tip his shot round the post before McQuoid tested Wiles-Richards again.

Whelan fired over midway through the half before the game’s best chance came and went for Bath.

Pearson’s sumptuous cross invited Brunt to steal a march on Calvin Brooks and nod against the base of the post, before scuffing the rebound at Ward.

There was then a large stoppage for treatment to Raynes, who came off worst in a challenge, the midfielder carried off to warm applause.

With time running out, Smith flashed a free-kick across goal for the Romans but neither defence could be breached as the race for the home play-off spots intensifies.

Bath: Wiles-Richards, Raynes (Hartridge 77), Riley-Lowe, Smith, Bowry, Mann (Brunt 61), Martin, Chilvers (Richards 73), Ball, Pearson, James.

Subs not used: Artus, Simpson

Terras: Ward, Harfield, Whelan (Wakefield 88), McCarthy, Thomson, McQuoid (Robinson 90+1), Baggie, Anthony, Brooks, Camp, Hobson.

Subs not used: Childs, Odubade, Williams

Referee: Chris O’Donnell

Attendance: 1,902

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts