Brooks bags late equaliser against Exeter City



Match Report: Alfie Lumb

The Terras continued their pre-season schedule by playing out a 1-1 draw against League 2 side Exeter City in a behind closed doors friendly at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Manager Brian Stock had made six changes to his starting eleven from Saturday’s 4-0 victory over Poole as he looks to prepare for next season in the Vanarama National League.

The visiting side had the first attempt of the game when centre back Tom Parkes launched a long ball from deep inside his own half. Grecian striker Nicky Ajose stormed through the backline however the striker’s lobbed effort forced Terras keeper Jack Bycroft into a comfortable save.

The next ten minutes proved tense with neither team looking relaxed in possession. Exeter forced another chance with midfielder Nicky Law crossing the ball into danger man Ajose from the right side. The former Leeds United striker connected with the ball on the volley but the shot fired over the bar.

Weymouth settled down soon after this, passing the ball with pace and precision fashioning their first real chance, with Brennan Camp’s header looping just over the crossbar following a cross from Ollie Harfield.

Exeter began to press the Terras on the thirty minute mark, calling on defender Adeoye Olumuyiwa to clear away any potential threats for the Terras.

Defence turned into attack as a long ball found Alefe Santos on the right side. The Brazilian winger forced a cross on the byline, which seemingly looked to evade all attackers until Ollie Harfield charged towards the ball to strike first time, 12 yards from goal. Jonny Maxted got down low to deny the wing back with his feet.

Moments later Ben Thomson called Maxted into action again, although his shot from range was comfortably met by the visiting goalkeeper.
The best chance of the first half fell to Exeter, five minutes from half time. Ajose found the ball in the box and drilled it goal bound. Jake McCarthy threw himself in front of the shot which left the Terras’ midfielder on the floor. The ricochet almost proved costly as Grecian winger Nelson Iseguan was alert striking the ball on the volley with his left foot. The chance looked certain to break the deadlock had Olumuyima not cleared the shot off the line.

Stock changed the lineup for the second half with Ngalo, Wakefield and Brooks replacing Camp, Robinson and Leslie-Smith.
The second half started with a high intensity, the Grecians coming close to finding a goal within the opening moments. Jack Sparkes delivered a low cross into the area, with Alex Fisher latching onto the ball. The shot was not on target, however former Dorchester Town striker Ben Seymour tried to change that with a deft touch yards from goal but was inches right of the post.

Substitute Josh Wakefield proved a threat against the visitors. A sublime dummy from Whelan left Wakefield in space following Harfield’s ball from the left. The midfielder attempted a first time strike, going wide of the goal. He looked to redeem himself moments later when the midfielder controlled the ball in the box following a corner. A low, curled effort to Maxted’s near post forced a diving save.

The Terras’ were broken down in the sixty fifth minute against the run of play, with a goal to Exeter. Sparkes’ delivery from the left was met by Seymour, who rose to head the ball beyond Bycroft.

Exeter were close to doubling their lead had it not have been for McCarthy, who had denied Law a shot after the ex Rangers midfielder had beaten three Terras defenders in the area.

Josh McQuoid had looked dangerous after replacing Santos, and with fifteen minutes left of the game nearly drew the equaliser. Substitute Jack Hoey was brought down in the area, with the clearance finding Cam Murray. The left winger whipped the ball back post which was met by McQuoid, whose downward header hit the post and was scrambled away by Maxted.

The Terras kept their heads up and were pressing for a reply, looking the better team in the last ten minutes, with Stephane Zubar staying in around the area long after set pieces were taken.

The Home side got the equaliser in what was one of the last touches of the game. A set piece from Whelan on the left wing was met by Calvin Brooks, in a crowded area, who powered the header into the back of the net.

The game finished soon after, 1-1.

Terras: Bycroft, Camp (Brooks 46), Harfield, Olumuyiwa (Zubar 77), Leslie-Smith (Ngalo 46), Santos, McCarthy, Robinson (Wakefield 46), Whelan, Murray, Thomson (Hoey 73).

Exeter: Maxted, Sweeney, Dyer, Parkes, Kite, Sparkes, Law, Iseguan, Ajose, Seymour, Fisher

Similar Posts