Terras fight back against Spitfires


Ngalo 74


Green 11

Report: Alfie Lumb

A patient Weymouth scored a late goal to draw with Eastleigh on Saturday afternoon at the Bob Lucas Stadium. This was the Terras second game against the Spitfires in a week and their second draw.

Brian Stock made three changes from Monday’s 4-3 defeat to Torquay United. Brennan Camp returned from suspension. Sean Shields and Jack Hoey also come into the side for Christian Saydee and Jack Dickson. The latter sits on the bench.

Jack Payne played a set piece onto the head of Tyrone Barnett. The striker could not make strong enough contact to direct the ball anywhere but Jack Bycroft’s gloves.

Eastleigh opened the games scoring in the 11th minute. Sam Smart’s cross was met by Michael Green. The left back took the ball on his chest before striking from the volley with his left boot. Jack Bycroft could do little to palm away the shot, such was the pace of the effort following the bounce of the ball.

5 minutes later the Terras were again on the attack. The home side were basing their attacks on the right. Cameron Murray had the chance to score but his touch in the area had let the ball run away from the midfielder.

Eastleigh were set up well to defend, playing with 5 defenders at the back, and the Terras were having to be patient to work an effort in. Josh McQuoid’s shot from range challenged McDonnell, but the ball was driven low to make the save more comfortable.

Brennan Camp came close to scoring an equaliser following a Sean Shields set piece. The centre back failed to turn the ball in from close range, instead McDonnell gathered the ball.

Neither side made much more of an impact towards the end of the half.

Following the start of the second half, Eastleigh had the next half chance. Smart played a neat ball into the feet of Ben House in the area. The striker, instead of firing a shot goal bound, elected to tee up an approaching midfielder. Jordan Ngalo was there to intercept the danger for Weymouth.

The away side were then given a succession of corners. The last set piece in their attack almost led to a goal before Ollie Harfield cleared the ball off of the line.

Weymouth’s only real chances were from set pieces. Jake McCarthy came close with a free kick just outside the area. The ball rose over the wall however there was little wind to curve the ball in any real way, making an easy save for McDonnell.

The Terras had another set piece that they feel should have led to a goal. Harfield whipped the ball into the area. The ball went across the area with no one able to tap it in.

For all their possession, Weymouth pulled a goal back in the 74th minute. The attack started with a last ditch block from Camp. The defender did well to come across and put his body in the way of Ben House’s shot. Calvin Brooks was then the spearhead for the Terras counter attack. The right back bombed down the wing and took the ball around goal scorer Green before playing it back across Ngalo in the area. The Weymouth midfielder struck the ball first time across a loaded box, taking a deflection before bulging the net.

It was a game nearly won by Eastleigh in the death. Late substitute Dan Smith made space for himself to shoot, being gifted possession by Weymouth as the Terras failed to clear their lines late on. The number 9 curled a shot with his left foot that had beaten Bycroft before rattling the cross bar.

Six added minutes were not enough for either side to find their winner with Weymouth taking their second point from Eastleigh this campaign, the final score 1-1.

Terras: Bycroft, Camp, Ngalo, McCarthy, McQuoid (Dickson 78), Brooks, Hoey (Wakefield 46), Cooke, Murray (Santos 90+4), Harfield, Shields.

Subs not used: Benfield, Al-Hussaini.

Eastleigh: McDonnell, Green, Miley (Smith 84), Boyce, Payne, Barnett (Hill 84), Smart (Blair 71), Wynter, Tomlinson, House, Hollands.

Subs not used: Bearwish, Scorey.

Referee: Lloyd Wood

Similar Posts