Terras held by stubborn Solihull



Report: Alfie Lumb

Weymouth were back in action for the first time in two weeks as they drew 0-0 to Solihull Moors at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Saturday.

Brian Stok named one change to the side from their last game, a 2-1 victory at home to Bromley. Robinson replaced Ngalo.

The Moors had the first chance of the afternoon. Jordan Cranston’s corner in the 9th minute, whipped into a busy area, was met by Kyle Howkins. The ball hit the back of the centre-backs head and ricocheted off of the cross bar before it was cleared away from danger.

Solihull were causing danger within the first 10 minutes, and came close to scoring again. Cranston’s ball from the left found Adam Rooney. The former Aberdeen striker laid the ball off for Cameron Coxe to hit the ball first time. The midfielder took the shot on but his effort was wide of Ethan Ross’ right post.

The first shot on target came for the Terras in the 22nd minute. Jake McCarthy’s long ball over the top gave Calvin Brooks space to run into. Brooks steamed into the penalty area, but his shot was dragged and was straight at goalkeeper Ryan Boot.

Weymouth came agonisingly close again 5 minutes later, with Brooks the centre of the attack again. His ball released Ollie Harfied on the left. The left-back’s cross was put forward to Brooks in the box. The number 17 could only poke the ball inches wide of an open goal.

The Terras were having the better chances towards the end of a first half. A Sean Shields corner was directed towards Joan Luque outside of the area. The Spaniard chested the ball down before firing a shot wide of Solihull’s goal.

Weymouth were awarded a penalty in the 53rd minute, a chance to break the deadlock. Andy Dallas was brought down in the area by Nathan Cameron. The in form striker stepped up to take the kick but the ball crashed against the underside of the crossbar. The ball bounced off the line before bouncing out and cleared away by defenders.

The game started to open up after the penalty and Dallas had a chance to make up for his spot kick in the 71st minute. Brooks’ direct run from the right saw him into the penalty area. The number 17 released the ball to Dallas on the byline, however his first time shot was directly at Boot, who was ready at the near post to snuff out the danger.

Solihull almost won the game in the 78th minute, had it not been for a phenomenal save from Ethan Ross. Jordan Cranston attempted to curl the ball in as the left back was in space just outside the area. Ethan Ross managed to palm the goal bound effort out for a corner.

Neither side had enough in the last 10 minutes to find a winner, the points shared. Weymouth go into their Tuesday night clash against Yeovil Town sitting in 20th place.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, Robinson, Brooks, Dallas (Thomson 85), Mensah, Revan, Harfield, Luque (Cooke 73), Shields.

Subs not used: Leslie-Smith, Murray, Fonkeu.

Solihull Moors: Boot, Williams, Cranston, Storer, Gleeson, Rooney, Coxe (Donawa 73), Maycock, Howkins, Hudin (Sbarra 51), Cameron.

Subs not used: Gudger, Clayton, Piggott.

Referee: Aaron Jackson

Similar Posts