Cooper 31, Ashford 47


Dallas 44, 62, McCarthy 89, Shields 90+5

Report: Alfie Lumb

The Terras were triumphant at York Road, coming from behind twice to see off Woking 4-2 on Saturday afternoon.

The first twenty minutes were a tight affair for both sides, Sean Shields caused the most danger for both sides early on. First the tricky winger played in a corner that was narrowly headed wide by a free Jake McCarthy. Then just on the 20 minute mark, Shields cut in from the left to deliver the ball to the back post where Calvin Brooks was waiting. The defender headed wide though.

The Terras were looking the stronger of the sides, and were pressing hard for a goal. McCarthy struck from range but the midfielder had slipped taking the shot. The driven shot bobbled and was spilled by the Woking keeper.

Just a moment later, the Terras were unlucky not to go ahead. Ben Worman turned and shot but the ball was blocked in the busy penalty area. The ball came out to Brennan Camp but his shot was blocked and the danger was cleared away. The threat was kept alive when Shields regained possession but the shot was deflected out for a corner.

Then, against the run of play, the Cardinal’s took the lead. Jacob Mensah scythed down a Woking attacker through on goal and was given a yellow card. Charlie Cooper took the set piece with his right foot just outside the area and curved in over the wall and beyond the out stretching gloves of Ethan Ross.

The Terras were not resting on their laurels and were gunning for an instant response. Andreas Robinson struck from range but the shot was parried away. Just a minute later the Terras grabbed the equaliser. Shields was weaving his way into the area and drove a pass into the path of Andy Dallas. The striker, who strolled into the box, touched the ball into the goal with the left foot, with the goalkeeper helplessly rooted to the spot.

The Terras almost took the lead soon after when McCarthy’s deflected free kick with his right foot was deflected by the wall and palmed away by Cardinals keeper Craig Ross.

Two minutes into the second half, Woking took the lead for the second time. Hodges played a ball through to Ashford who drove into the area before striking a ball with his left boot. The ball deflected on the leg Terras keeper Ethan Ross before nestling into the back of the net

Weymouth got back into the game soon after. A quick corner saw the ball come out to Josh McQuoid. The Terras captain put in a low cross which was acrobatically flicked on by Dallas at the near post past the keeper.

McCarthy was looking dangerous every time he touched the ball. The number 8 fired a shot from range but Woking defender Diarra put himself in the way for the ball to go out for a corner.

Jacob Mensah had the next big opportunity for the Terras when his header saw the ball rise just over the cross bar following a set piece from Shields.

Then, in the 90th minute, the Terras took the lead. Substitute Cameron Murray laid the ball off to Worman who dinked the ball into the path of McCarthy who was running into the area. McCarthy saw the ball come over his shoulder before striking it on the volley with his right foot. The ball went across the goal and past Ross as he attempted to make a save, diving to his right with no avail.

The Terras completed the scoring in the 94th minute. Josh McQuoid danced past opposition defenders in the area, luring Ross off his line. The former Northern Irish international looked up and benevolently passed the ball across the face of goal for Shields who tapped it into an open net.

With that, the game concluded and the Terras claimed their second win in a row, both away from home.

Woking: C Ross, Cooper, Gerring (Leslie 53), Diarra, Ferdinand, Freeman, Lofthouse, Z Robinson, Hamblin, Ashford (Dalby 73) Hodges (Saied 85).

Subs not used: Evans, Smith.

Terras: E Ross, Camp, McCarthy, Morgan, A Robinson, Brooks (McQuoid 57), Dallas (Murray 70), Mensah, Harfield, Worman (Ngalo 90+2), Shields.

Subs not used: Dickson, Fonkeu.

Referee: Tom Bishop

Similar Posts