Terras extend their unbeaten home run - Welling Utd Match Report

Weymouth have extended their unbeaten home league run to four games following their 1-1 draw against Welling United last Saturday at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Their point versus the South East London outfit means that Bobby Wilkinson’s side have not lost on Dorset soil in the league since September 2nd, where Maidstone United were the victors in a 3-2 loss.

Though the match ended in another draw for The Terras, this result leaves them in 17th-place with 18 points, a total of 10 points better than this time last year round.

Their draw with The Wings also places them FIVE points clear of the drop zone, a more impressive feat in contrast to last season, where they were at the foot of the table after the same number of games played.

The match proved to be a cagey one, where both teams appeared to be affected by the unsettling wind displayed that afternoon.

It would be Weymouth who drew first blood just before half-time, after the opening period had been devoid of many clear-cut chances for either side.

Ben Thomson was able to capitalise on a defensive mishap between goalkeeper Ben Winterbottom and defender Jack Burchell.

Kain Adom found the equaliser for The Wings during the second half, following a quickly-taken throw-in.

However, neither team were able to find a winner before the final whistle as they left the Bob Lucas Stadium with a point apiece.

Amongst the newcomers for Wilkinson’s side were Jared Thompson and Ben Winterburn, who both made their debut on Saturday.

Thomson was another player who found himself in the line-up after last week, whilst Ezio Touray was on the bench.

It would be one of the new arrivals with the first chance of the game, Winterburn having his effort blocked inside just three minutes.

The 19-year-old’s opportunity would ultimately not be a sign of things to come, as both teams were unable to create any glaring opportunities during the game’s opening minutes.

The uncomfortable weather appeared to have an effect on the players, with multiple overhit crosses being a notable action of the first half.

The first real chance would not come until the 17th minute, when Lachlan Byrd saw his header saved by Thompson following Jephte Tanga’s cross.

Tanga was perhaps the brightest spark of the opening 45 minutes, the midfielder winning a series of fouls which saw both Jordon Thompson and Teddy Howe enter the book.

It looked as if the half would end goalless.

However, what should have been a routine collection for Winterbottom turned into the worst possible outcome, after a collision between both players.

Thomson was able to capitalise on the mistake and roll the ball into an empty net, making it 1-0 to The Terras just before the break.

The visitors re-entered the pitch with one change, Burchell being forced off following Thomson’s opener, and with Taylor Curran taking his place.

Weymouth could have doubled the lead just four minutes after the break, when Dan Roberts fired his shot straight into the hands of Winterbottom following Olu Durojaiye’s accurate long pass.

Though their lead would not last for much longer, when Adom was the first player to react to a throw-in from the visitors.

The winger was able to fire the ball past Winterbottom to make the game all-square.

The goalscorer would soon look to add a second, and would have done so had his effort not found its way straight into the newcomer’s hands.

The Terras would rely on the shot-stopper once more, denying the dangerous Tanga from close-range.

The next big chance would not come until 10 minutes before the whistle, when substitute Moe Shubbar cut inside and saw his effort roll just wide of the near post.

Just a minute later, the fans would see another close opportunity at the other end of the pitch, when Thompson was called into action following Dom Odusanya’s free-kick.

The man between the sticks was able to prevent his side going a goal down, reaching his fingertips to Odusanya’s set-piece.

Whilst Calvin Brooks could have scored the winner with a header right at the end, the match ultimately finished as a draw lacking in many opportunities for either of the two teams.

After the final whistle, Wilkinson said that, following another draw, it would be “fine margins” that would help his team earn more victories.

His side have the opportunity to do just that tomorrow against Bath City [19.45 GMT].

Match report by
Jack Webb

Similar Posts