Barnet 1-0 Weymouth



Weymouth narrowly beaten at Barnet


Fonguck 45


AN IMPROVED attacking performance could not save Weymouth from a third straight 1-0 defeat in the Vanarama National League as Barnet took victory at the Hive Stadium.

Weymouth enjoyed good possession in the first half and saw Cody Cooke twice test home keeper Scott Loach.

Barnet’s winner came in the 45th minute as Wes Fonguck blasted home from 25 yards.

Weymouth’s level dropped in the second half and Barnet spurned two golden late chances to add to their tally before holding on for all three points.

Playing a fourth game in 11 days, Weymouth made three changes to the side that began the 1-0 defeat to Sutton on Saturday.

Alefe Santos, Cameron Murray and Tom Whelan missed out – the latter two dropping to the bench.

Fit again Corey Jordan returned, along with captain Jake McCarthy in the absence of Josh McQuoid.

There was also a debut for new striker Shamir Mullings, who played alongside manager Brian Stock at Havant & Waterlooville.

Fellow new man Sean Shields, announced minutes before kick-off, took a place on the bench but Jack Hoey and Harry Burns were omitted from the matchday squad.

Barnet hosted the Terras in the FA Trophy first round in December 2019, winning 2-1, and in the second meeting between the sides in a year, Barnet started strongly.

Controlling the opening exchanges, Barnet threatened through Fonguck’s rising shot over the bar.

Chances came quickly in the first 11 minutes as Cooke tested Loach for Weymouth’s first shot on target.

Barnet were dismayed during that spell when Alex McQueen could only pull a tame shot wide having snuck through the Weymouth defence.

Mullings nodded wide and Josh Wakefield also worked Loach from distance as Weymouth began to grab a foothold.

While Weymouth bossed possession without creating chances, Barnet hit back when JJ Hooper’s low shot sprung Jack Bycroft into action, Ollie Harfield sweeping up his parry.

Weymouth’s attacking display was sharper than previous games and the Terras set about creating two more chances for Cooke.

Brennan Camp helped conjure the first, his cross finding the former St Mirren marksman who volleyed just wide from inside the area.

Cooke’s second effort was wilder, skying his shot after stealing in behind the Bees’ rearguard.

Barnet punished Weymouth for their failure to take one of their opportunities, Fonguck unleashing a sweet low drive in off the post from 25 yards in the 45th minute.

With the Terras conceding just before half-time for the second occasion in three games, Weymouth again had work to do in the final period.

Barnet improved after the break as Jordan was called upon to halt a Bees attack before striker Alfie Pavey headed wide.

Weymouth jolted into action when Loach swooped to intercept a cross with Calvin Brooks bearing down on Camp’s deflected shot and Mullings selfishly sliced wide from distance despite having options around him.

Shields came on for his debut in the 69th minute and won a corner seconds later, only for Brooks to head well wide.

Barnet nearly made good on their second-half superiority with a chance from which they should have scored.

Hooper and Ephron Mason-Clark were involved in a slick attack, finding Pavey in an ocean of space, only for Bycroft’s knee to deny him a goal.

Fonguck nearly added a second but the clearest chance of the half fell to Bees’ sub Antonis Vasiliou, who scampered clean through only to nudge a shot wide in the 85th minute.

Weymouth piled on late pressure in stoppage time with two corners but Barnet held firm to take three points as the Terras’ toothless attack was again exposed.

Including the 0-0 draw with Dartford in the National League South play-offs, Weymouth have now gone over 450 minutes without a goal in competitive football.

Brian Stock’s men sit second-bottom of the league ahead of Saturday’s home clash against King’s Lynn (3pm).

Barnet: Loach, Duffus, Dunne, McQueen, Pavey (Vasiliou 84), Hooper, Taylor, Fonguck, Binnom-Williams, Mason-Clark, Nugent.

Subs not used: Azaze, Pascal, Petrasso, Tompkins.

Terras: Bycroft, Camp, Jordan (Murray 75), Wakefield (Shields 69), McCarthy, Leslie-Smith, Robinson (Whelan 83), Brooks, Cooke, Harfield, Mullings.

Subs not used: Benfield, Anderson.

Dorset Echo


Date Time League Season
13th October 2020 7:45 pm National League 2020/21


The Hive Stadium
Barnet Football Club Training Ground Clubhouse, Edgware HA8, UK




21Jack BYCROFT Goalkeeper
2Brennan CAMP Defence
3Corey JORDAN 23 Defence
4Josh WAKEFIELD 32 Midfield
8Jake McCARTHY Midfield
15Josh LESLIE-SMITH Defence
16Andy ROBINSON 24 Midfield
17Calvin BROOKS Defence
20Cody COOKE Forward
26Ollie HARFIELD Defence
27Shamir MULLINGS Forward
32Sean SHIELDS 4 Midfield
23Cameron MURRAY 3 Midfield
24Tom WHELAN 16 Midfield
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 69 75 83 FT