Stockport County vs Weymouth



Whelan gives Terras treat against shocked Stockport


Palmer 14


Brooks 52, Whelan 85

Match Report: Alfie Lumb

Weymouth fought back from 1-0 down to earn an impressive 2-1 away victory to promotion chasing Stockport County at Edgeley Park on Saturday afternoon.

Both teams observed a minutes silence before the game due to this fixture being the closest to Remembrance Sunday. The sides also sported poppies on their jerseys to pay respect.

Brian Stock made 2 changes from Tuesday nights 3-2 defeat with Cody Cooke and Ollie Harfield coming in for Thomson and Leslie-Smith.

The first chance of the game fell to the home side that started with a marauding run from centre back Liam Hogan. The captain played the ball to Minihan on the right. The right wing back flashed the ball across the box towards Bennett who failed to turn the ball in.

Weymouth failed to get into the game early on and paid the price for this conceding a goal in the 15th minute. Jack Bycroft gave away an unnecessary corner when the young goalkeeper could not control the ball as it was about to go out for a goal kick. John Rooney took the in swinging corner through a crowded penalty area which was met by Ash Palmer at the back post. The striker headed it in in the 14th minute.

Calvin Brooks tried to get the Terras back into the game but his cross was just over the head of Cody Cooke and cleared, but only as for as Andy Robinson. Robinson, who scored last weekend, made an attempt from range to draw his side level but his attempt was blocked.

It all went wrong for Weymouth before the half hour mark as Brian Stock was forced to make two substitutions, with Cooke being replaced by Ben Thomson and then minutes later Brennan Camp was hauled off with a head injury for Josh Leslie-Smith.

Weymouth were lucky to keep it 1-0 as the Hatters were looking dangerous from corners. Kitching swung a dangerous corner towards Hogan on the back post. The former Salford City man was unmarked due to a slip from Leslie-Smith, however his directed header was just to the right of Bycroft’s goal.

Nine minutes before half time Stockport had another big chance. Kitching made a cutting run, turning Terras defenders inside and out, making his way into the penalty area. The left wing back drove his shot across goal and Bycroft got down fast to deny the effort from close range.

Weymouth had a chance to draw level deep within the fifth minute of injury time as they broke on the counter attack. The ball found its way to Sean Shields in the middle of the park. He tried to curl one from distance but the shot blazed well over the bar.

Weymouth started the second half like they had the last few games, with determination and organisation, going at Stockport County. This confidence in their play led to an equaliser in the 51st minute. The Terras’ pressure saw Thomson with time in the box. The substitute turned and struck the ball but it was kicked away by Hinchcliffe in goal. The goalkeeper, making his 200th appearance, gifted it to Brooks, who drilled it in.

They nearly turned the game on their head two minutes later as attacking on the right side seemed to be the right ingredient for the Terras. Brooks attempted the shot which ricocheted out to Thomson whose shot was blocked by an oncoming defender and collected by the County keeper.

Weymouth kept pressuring the home side and Shields had the next effort. Whelan played the ball through to Sean Shields who cut inside, but his shot was blocked. The attempt would have challenged the keeper had the defenders not turned him onto his weaker foot.

The game was tense and it was Stockport who had the next chance. Mark Kitching flashed the ball across the box and Ash Reid connected with it. The striker was pressured by Terras defenders and the shot was way over the bar.

Within the last 15 minutes Weymouth were picking up every second ball. A short corner was played to Tom Whelan. The midfielder dribbled into the box on the byline catching Hatters defenders unaware. His shot, however, was wide of the goal.

With just five minutes of the game to go, Weymouth made their second half dominance count and found a late winner. Whelan played the ball through to Shields who struck a powerful effort across goal. Hinchcliffe could only palm the ball in the air for Whelan, who positioned himself in the centre of the box, nodded it into an open goal.

Stock had made it known in previous weeks how important game management was in the National League, and the Terras were doing well to keep the ball as far as they could from Bycroft’s goal.

The ball was flicked onto Bycroft’s post within the 94th minute. The resulting corner was headed over the bar and the referee blew the full time whistle.

It finished 2-1, with Weymouth rising to 14th place. Stockport missed the chance to go top of the league but still sit in second place.

Stockport: Hinchcliffe, Minihan, Hogan, Palmer, Maynard, Rooney, Bennett (C Jennings 76), Kitching, Stott (Thomas 76), Croasdale, Reid (Britton 67). Subs not used: Barnes, Keane.

Terras: Bycroft, Camp (Leslie-Smith 30), Jordan, Wakefield (McCarthy 88), McQuoid, Robinson, Brooks, Cooke (Thomson 26), Whelan, Harfield, Shields. Subs not used: Benfield, Murray.


Date Time League Season
31st October 2020 3:00 pm National League 2020/21


Edgeley Park
16 Hardcastle Rd, Stockport SK3 9DD, UK


Stockport County1Loss


21Jack BYCROFT Goalkeeper
2Brennan CAMP 15 Defence
3Corey JORDAN Defence
4Josh WAKEFIELD 8 Midfield
10Josh MCQUOID Forward
16Andy ROBINSON Midfield
17Calvin BROOKS Defence 52'
20Cody COOKE 9 Forward
24Tom WHELAN Midfield 85'
26Ollie HARFIELD Defence
32Sean SHIELDS Midfield 85'
9Ben THOMSON 20 Forward 52'
15Josh LESLIE-SMITH 2 Defence
8Jake MCCARTHY 4 Midfield
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 26 30 52 52 85 85 88 FT