Frome Town vs Weymouth



Shephard shown red as Frome fire double against Weymouth

A TRICKY trip to Frome proved a reality for the Terras as they were rocked in a 2-0 defeat to the Robins last night.

Goals either side of the break from Jon Davies and substitute Jake Jackson condemned Jason Matthews’ side to an agonising 2-0 loss, in which Chris Shephard was also dismissed just before half-time for his second booking.

The Terras, boosted by their 1-0 victory against Redditch United last time out, made a couple of changes from the side that started against the Reds.

Striker Ben Thomson, who impressed as a second-half substitute in that solitary goal success, was given a spot in the XI against his former club. He came in for Sam Jordan, who dropped to the bench.

With another former Robin in Dean Evans picking up a knee injury on Saturday, that also allowed playmaker Shephard to slot back into Matthews’ side.

And it was Shephard who had the first sight on goal for the visitors with just six minutes on the clock. His powerful effort was fired straight at Darren Chitty in the Robins’ goal, a headed effort then looped over the bar at the other end moments later.

Dan Smith then went close for Weymouth as Frome were pushed into making an early change.

Mike Bryant was forced off with an injury problem, meaning Josh Ferguson took his place.

Thomson then almost got the opener against his former employers but Chitty saved and, at the other end, another ex-Robin in Mark Cooper was force to clear off the Weymouth goal line in what was an end-to-end opening.

But it was the Robins who opened the scoring with a superb individual goal from winger Jon Davies.

He proved too hot to handle for a number of visiting defenders and then capped a jinking run off with a classy finish into the bottom corner, past Matthews.

A heated moment then ensued as Shephard put in a nasty challenge on Davies, sparking both sides to react. Shephard only saw yellow.

As they did so often during the weekend’s victory, Weymouth wingers Smith and Aaron Rodriguez combined well – almost resulting in a leveller.

Former Gillingham Town man Rodriguez delivered a teasing ball for Smith, who headed inches wide of the target.

But with the Terras creating a number of good opportunities before the interval, they were then down to 10 men as Shephard was dismissed. He was awarded a second yellow for another foul as tempers boiled over.

More controversy then ensued before the break as Cooper seemed to have smashed home a leveller for the visitors but the goal was chalked off by referee James Vallance – a decision that did not sit well with the away side.

Following a comparatively quiet opening to the second period, Weymouth brought on Jordan Copp in place of Rodriguez.

And the former Plymouth Argyle youngster almost made an immediate impact, but he shot wide after he was cleverly set up by Thomson.

Smith was then replaced by striker Jordan with around 15 minutes left as Matthews’ men went in search of a needed leveller.

Thomson was then also put in the referee’s book, which was starting to fill up, as the hosts looked to run the clock down.

Weymouth striker Stewart Yetton was then introduced for Cooper with one last throw of the dice from the away bench but it was Frome who added to their tally late on – Jackson with the hammer blow to make it 2-0.


Date Time League Season
17th August 2016 7:45 pm Southern League Premier 2016/17


Badgers Hill
48 Berkley Rd, Frome BA11 2EH, UK


Frome Town2Win