Kidderminster Harriers vs Weymouth



Clinical Kidderminster end Weymouth’s FA Cup dream
By Dorset ECHO

THE Terras’ run in this season’s FA cup came to an emphatic end as they were well beaten by a classy Kidderminster Harriers outfit at Aggborough.

To the visitors’ credit, they kept battling throughout what was always going to be a tricky task in their bid to reach the first round proper.

But, in all honesty, the Harriers showed Weymouth just what it takes to be in the upper echelons of the next level up the footballing pyramid.

With a tough decision to make in his team selection for the cup contest, Weymouth boss Jason Matthews made just one change from the side that started their convincing win over Basingstoke Town in midweek.

That switch came at left-back as Mark Cooper dropped to the bench in place of Jake Wannell, who had gotten over a hamstring problem.

And on the subject of hamstring problems, the Terras would have also been pleased to see Chris Shephard out warming up ahead of the contest.

He was not involved having picked up the grade one tear against Brimscombe & Thrupp in the previous round but player-manager Matthews confirmed to Echosport he would be out for around another two weeks.

The home side, who sat fifth in National League North ahead of kick-off, had won four out of their last six in all competitions – they drew 3-3 with league leaders AFC Fylde in their last clash a week previously.

Harriers also made one change at left-back as Zaine Francis-Angol returned to the side having been on international duty with Antigua and Barbuda.

And it was the hosts who first showed their attacking threat from set-pieces.

The first corner of the game resulted in a scramble in the Weymouth box and striker Mani Dieseruvwe’s shot was charged down by a sea of Terras’ bodies.

From the second corner, Dieseruvwe then powered a header which clipped the top of the crossbar and went to safety.

Weymouth failed to deal with the National North side’s early set-pieces but were not punished by the hosts in the opening exchanges.

On seven minutes, defender Jordan Tunnicliffe rose highest but headed over the top.

Harriers were then forced into making a change up front as Elton Ngwatala, who appeared to be holding his shoulder, had to be replaces by Liam Truslove.

But Kidderminster continued to look threatening and on 32 minutes, they eventually got their reward.

After some neat build-up on the left flank, striker Dieseruvwe found half a yard on the edge of the area and drilled the ball into the bottom corner past Terras’ keeper Dan Thomas.

Just a minute later came Weymouth’s best chances of the half. Stewart Yetton managed to get in behind the Harriers’ back four and looked to cut the ball back, but a covering defender was on hand to clear.

The resulting corner was swung in by Charlie Davis and met by Wannell, who glanced just wide of the far post.

Another goal then came for the home side at what was a crucial period in the tie.

Again looking threatening from a corner, Tunnicliffe rose highest to power a headed effort past Thomas and make it 2-0.

And, after Yetton snatched at a volley on the turn at the other end, rampant Kidderminster then found a third with almost the last kick of the half.

Another corner was half-cleared by the away side on this occasion but that did not stop substitute Truslove striking home from 25 yards out with the outside of his right boot.

Looking to mix things up, Weymouth brought on Dan Smith at the interval in place of Ben Thomson, who had picked up an injury, and Yetton led the line on his own.

That change could not stem the flow of goals however, as the Harriers scored their fourth six minutes into the second period.

After some slick passing on the left hand side, Arthur Gnahoua got in on the act.

He applied a classy finish across goal into the bottom corner to put the tie beyond doubt. That was to be Gnahoua’s last act as he was then replaced by Sam Austin.

The hosts continued to push forward and on 59 minutes, Tyrell Waite joined the party, almost passing the ball into the net with an effort which may have taken a slight deflection from 18 yards out for 5-0.

To add insult to injury, the Terras then had what looked a decent shout for a penalty waved away by referee Declan Bourne, as Smith went down in the box. Dean Evans then fired wide before picking up a booking for a foul in midfield.

Waite then added his second and Harriers’ sixth in bizarre circumstances.

He broke clear and bent a right-foot shot which, according to referee Bourne after consulting with his assistant, had gone in and had in fact burst through the side netting.

Thomas then got down well to deny Austin with a couple of minutes remaining, that came just before Smith almost crossed for Billy Lowes on the counter at the other end as the Terras looked to send their travelling support home with something to cheer about.

But it was not to be as Kidderminster breezed into the next round and Weymouth’s cup quest ended with a whimper.


Date Time League Season
15th October 2016 3:00 pm FA Cup 2016/17


Kidderminster Harriers6Win

KO 46 70 79 FT