King’s Lynn Town vs Weymouth



Super six for Weymouth as they turn on the style at King’s Lynn Town

CLINICAL Weymouth struck a super six to earn a convincing victory at against King’s Lynn Town.

The Terras’ supporters coach left the Bob Lucas Stadium at 7am to reach the Walks Stadium, and those travelling fans were rewarded by a sublime display from Jason Matthews’ men, who showed no ill-effects of the near 500-mile round trip.

On a day where a vast number of fixtures were called off due to frozen pitches, the visitors turned up the heat with as many as six different scorers to emphatically seal the points.

Weymouth’s Jake Wannell was judged fit to start after recovering from a hamstring problem. He came into the Terras’ back four to replace Ashley Wells, who dropped to the bench.

There was also a change higher up the field as Dean Evans replaced Stewart Yetton, with Stuart Fleetwood, who scored against Banbury in midweek, moving positions to operate through the middle.

King’s Lynn boss Gary Setchell was full of respect for the Terras ahead of kick-off. Speaking ahead of the game, he told the club website: “Weymouth are going to batter someone soon and I’m hoping it isn’t going to be us.

“In my eyes they are the best team in this league. I’ve seen them five times in the last two years and they miss chances for fun.

“They have not been getting the best out of their players and I think it’s fair to say it is a game between two teams in false positions.”

Setchell would not have been pleased with the start his side made as the Terras took the lead on just five minutes.

Fleetwood made it two goals in as many games for Weymouth as he slotted home after just five minutes.

With Lynn looking to rally, Calvin Brooks was then on hand to head away an effort from Toby Hilliard as the away side kept their noses in front.

The hosts then started to settle and almost levelled things up on a couple of occasions.

A slick passing move saw Shaun McWilliams hit the underside of the bar for the Linnets, that was followed by sublime reaction save by Tom McHale minutes later in the Weymouth goal, after the ball had glanced off Brooks.

But, having absorbed that pressure, the Terras went on to double their lead on 34 minutes. A corner swung in by Chris Shephard was met powerfully by Evans, who made no mistake in heading into the back of the net.

Charlie Davis then struck a powerful effort which was well saved by Alex Street in the Lynn goal, but the Terras were in dreamland just before the break, as the midfielder took his second opportunity in clinical fashion.

Davis rounded the keeper to convert a third for Matthews’ men, who looked to be out of sight at the interval.

The hosts made a double change at half-time but it was Weymouth who kept up the pressure with Street making another sharp save to keep the score at 3-0.

Injury then hit the Terras to put the only sour note on what was a cracking opening 50 minutes for Matthews’ side. Brooks required treatment and could not continue, he was replaced by Ashley Wells.

After McHale confidently came to claim another cross for Weymouth, Matthews opted to switch goalscorer Davis for Mark Molesley on 65 minutes.

Wannell was also given a rest for the final 16 minutes as Yetton was brought on to replace him and, just after that, it was 4-0.

Shephard picked the pocket of his man and put the ball on a plate for Molesley to make it four.

It was then the turn of Shephard to add his name to the scoresheet with a deflected shot which found the net for 5-0.

Despite Lynn pulling a goal back through substitute Dylan Edge, it was not to matter as the Matthews’ men continued to run riot.

Substitute Yetton calmly added a sixth as the Terras emerged comfortable winners.


Date Time League Season
21st January 2017 3:00 pm Southern League Premier 2016/17


The Walks
The Walks Stadium, Tennyson Rd, King\'s Lynn PE30 5PB, United Kingdom


King’s Lynn Town1Loss

KO 53 65 74 FT