Poole Town vs Weymouth





Lindsay 90+1




Evans 33


A LATE leveller from Lewis Lindsay meant stoppage-time agony for the Terras, as they were pegged back by Poole Town in a dramatic climax at Tatnam.


Lindsay put the ball home following a corner to cancel out a first-half header from Dean Evans, as the two Dorset sides locked horns in a pulsating encounter in the FA Trophy.


Both will be in Monday’s draw for the first round proper, but they will bid to progress in the competition once again in a replay at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Tuesday (7.45pm).




Weymouth, whose last couple of trips to Tatnam had not produced happy memories, made one change to the side that beat Frome Town 2-1 last time out.



Former Poole man Jake Wannell was suspended, meaning Ashley Wells came in at right-back and Mark Cooper moved to the left hand side.


Dorset Echo:


There was still no place for Stewart Yetton in the matchday squad with a hamstring injury, although he was going through some light work during the warm-up.


In his absence, Calvin Brooks captained the Terras with his brother Marvin on the opposite site.


Poole were boosted ahead of the contest with the signing of former Cherries’ man Shaun Cooper, who arrived from Sutton United.


Experienced defender Cooper started as part of a Poole side which also included AFC Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge, who had a short spell with the Terras last season.


And, after both sides had the chance to put in early set-pieces, the first half-chance went to the Terras on five minutes.


Striker Ben Thomson has picked the pocket of a covering defender, but saw his attempted cross from inside the box gathered by Nick Hutchings in the home goal.


Poole midfielder Steve Devlin then struck a free-kick from range but his low fizzer was deflected into the arms of Weymouth keeper Jason Matthews.


The visiting player-boss was then worked once again when ex-Terra Luke Burbidge drove into the box from the right flank and hit a stinging shot which was well tipped over.



With the game starting at a slick pace, some neat build-up saw Weymouth’s Stuart Fleetwood stand the ball up at the back post and, as Chris Shephard drifted in off the right wing, he was just unable to get a touch to turn the ball goal bound.


Dorset Echo:


On 31 minutes, the Terras had the ball in the net through Fleetwood. He stabbed home after the ball was flicked back into the Dolphins’ box, but it was chalked off for offside.


Just two minutes later however, the away side did take the lead.


Thomson broke clear down the right after beating Shaun Cooper, he delivered a looping cross for Dean Evans, who made no mistake in heading home unchallenged on 33 minutes.


Just five minutes later, the Dolphins could have levelled things up. Surridge rose highest to meet a delivery in a dangerous area, and Matthews had to be at full stretch to tip the ball onto the bar.



Shephard, who looked lively throughout the opening period, then found space after a tidy passing move by the away side, his shot from range had Hutchings worried but flew just wide.


After absorbing some pressure from the Dolphins in the early exchanges of the second half, Weymouth were then hit with a big injury concern, as Stephane Zubar limped off with a hamstring injury.


With no centre-half on the bench, Weymouth were forced to re-shuffle, with Mark Cooper slotting in at centre-half as Dan Smith came on.


But, with the home side well on the front, it was Thomson at the other end who spurned a great chance to make it two. His shot at the second attempt was charged down from inside the box.



Poole, who continued to pile the pressure on, then called on their bench, bringing on Luke Roberts and experienced frontman Richard Gillespie for Ryan Case and Carl Pettefer. Marvin Brooks fired wide soon after as Poole continued to pile the pressure on.


Dorset Echo:


Ex-Dolphin Billy Lowes was then introduced by the Terras. He replaced Shephard as Matthews’ men looked to dig in.


But it was not to be for the away side as, in the first minute of stoppage time, after Ashley Wells had to be taken off with a knee injury, a delivery was played into the box and there was Lindsay to level the game up.


That was not the end of the drama however, as a late free-kick from Surridge cannoned off the post, and, although the ball was put in by the Dolphins in the dying moments, the effort was called offside.


Poole: Hutchings, Lindsay, Case (Roberts 68), Cooper, Whisken, Pettefer (Gillespie 68), Burbidge, Devlin, Surridge, Brooks, Baggie Subs not used: Moore, Tallack, Rees


Terras: Matthews, Wells, Cooper, Evans, Zubar (Smith 56), Brooks, Copp, Davis, Fleetwood, Thomson (Jevon 86), Shephard (Lowes 76). Subs not used: Rodriguez, Thomas


Bookings: Poole – Case


Terras – Evans


Referee: Marc Whaley


Attendance: 755


Date Time League Season
26th November 2016 3:00 pm FA Trophy 2016/17


BlackGold Stadium
Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, England, BH15 3JR, United Kingdom


Poole Town1Draw
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 56 76 86 FT