Redditch United vs Weymouth



Crushing defeat for Weymouth as Reds fight back

A LATE rally from Redditch United meant Weymouth suffered their seventh league defeat of the campaign with a crushing loss at the Valley Stradium.

The pressure now increases on Terras’ boss Jason Matthews, whose side showed positive signs for the majority of the contest and took the lead with 10 minutes on the clock through Stewart Yetton.

But after he went off injured, the Terras failed to take any further opportunities and were made to pay as Simeon Cobourne and Danico Johnson struck within two minutes during the second half to leave the visitors pointless.

With both Stuart Fleetwood and Bradley Tarbuck set for their final games of their month’s loan spell, Terras’ player-manager Matthews opted to initially leave the duo on the bench for the encounter.

Matthews himself continued in the starting XI without keeper Dan Thomas in the squad, central defender Stephane Zubar was back on the bench after a calf problem.

Weymouth went into the contest at the Valley against a Reds’ side that had lost their last two games in all competitions, shipping eight goals in the process.

Manager Darren Byfield saw his side fall to a 4-1 defeat to Ramsbottom United in the FA Trophy last time out but the Redditch boss was keen to stay upbeat following a team meeting in midweek.

He told the Redditch Standard: “Things don’t happen overnight and, having reminded myself of that, I am very upbeat about the steps we are taking at Redditch United.

“We are training twice a week on our own 3G pitch now, unless we have a midweek game that is, and that should really help us.”

And it was on that 3G surface that the Terras started brightly and took the lead with 10 minutes gone.

After Ben Thomson’s initial effort was saved by Bradley Catlow in the home goal, there was his strike partner Yetton to tap home.

But unfortunately for Matthews’ men, skipper Yetton only lasted a few minutes after scoring.

He picked up a hamstring injury, meaning loanee Fleetwood came off the bench after just 17 minutes.

But that injury issue was not to deter the away side as they kept plugging away in search of a second.

Looking dangerous down the flanks, the Terras came within inches of doubling their lead.

A devilish ball from Jordan Copp found Thomson and his effort cannoned off the post.

In what was a fluent first-half display from Weymouth, chances also fell for Chris Shephard and Charlie Davis, the latter steering the ball wide on the angle.

Matthews, who did not have too much to do in the opening period, was then almost caught out by an attempted lob by Redditch’s Clayton McDonald, but the effort went over the top.

The Reds’ problems were then worsened as Reece Hales was carried off on a stretcher late at the end of the opening period.

Following the break, the Terras then went close again to making it 2-0.

After Shephard’s strike was blocked, the ball fell to Mark Cooper but the full-back put the ball over the bar from just five yards out. Copp then shot just wide from range moments later.

Yetton then joined the Terras’ fans for the second period, and he almost saw the lead he gave his side extended.

Copp linked up with Shephard on the edge of the area, but the Terras’ playmaker placed his effort just wide.

But, out of seemingly nothing, Redditch then came to life to leave the Terras shell-shocked.

On 79 minutes, Coburne, on his home debut for the club, levelled the game up at 1-1 and, just two minutes later, Johnson made it 2-1 to cap off a dramatic turnaround.

That was how it stayed as Matthews’ men fell to a stunning defeat that was tough to take.


Date Time League Season
19th November 2016 3:00 pm Southern League Premier 2016/17


The TRICO Stadium


Redditch United2Win