Weymouth vs Cinderford Town


Weymouth net treble in comfortable home win over Cinderford Town

WEYMOUTH made no mistake in securing a routine home win against rock-bottom Cinderford Town at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Stuart Fleetwood’s double either side of a goal from Chris Shephard ensured Jason Matthews’ men did not slip up against the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division’s lowest side at present, whose search for an away win in the league continues.

Having won 6-1 at King’s Lynn Town last time out, Weymouth went into the contest as huge favourites against a Cinderford side that had a dismal record on the road in the league.

The home side made two changes to their starting XI. Boss Matthews was forced into making a switch at right-back with Calvin Brooks out through injury, which meant Ashley Wells came into the back four.

There was also a change in midfield for the hosts as player-assistant Mark Molesley replaced Dean Evans, who dropped to the bench.

Town travelled to the Bob Lucas Stadium having recorded just one point from 15 away games in the league. They did however hold Matthews’ men to a 2-2 draw at the Causeway earlier in the season.

Karnell Chambers was one of the players to score for the Foresters on that occasion, and he also started for the visitors this time round.

After some early pressure from the home side which saw them earn a couple of corners, it was in fact Cinderford who had the first real chance on 14 minutes.

A cross from the left was only half-cleared by Weymouth’s Toby Down, allowing Town’s Elliot Ford to volley at goal, but the effort flew over the bar.

Small claims for a Cinderford penalty then followed as the Terras seemed frustrated but, without creating too much, Weymouth took the lead with 30 minutes gone.

A neat through ball was played into the path of Fleetwood, who celebrated the extension of his loan deal with Weymouth by calmly finding the net.

Home skipper Stephane Zubar was then cautioned for clattering Cameron Clark in the Foresters’ goal before tthe hosts survived a slight scare from a set-piece, which saw them have to clear off their own goal line.

But, after that moment of panic, the Matthews’ men then doubled their advantage.

Fleetwood was played through once again and cut the ball back on the angle. It was eventually picked up by Shephard, who found the bottom corner to make it 2-0 to the home side.

The clash was then virtually over as a contest on 56 minutes as Fleetwood, who provided a real cutting edge up front, raced on to a lofted through ball form Shephard and smashed the ball past keeper Clark for his second of the afternoon – his seventh Terras’ goal in 10 league games.

Weymouth then added more firepower from the bench as Stewart Yetton came on in place of Jordan Copp on 67 minutes.

Looking to add to his Tally, Shephard then combined nicely with Fleetwood and then skipped around a couple of men in the box. His stinging effort forced a sharp save.

Molesley, who had another positive game in the heart of the Weymouth midfield, was then replaced by Conor Jevon and Aaron Rodriguez replaced two-goal hero Fleetwood with 10 minutes left.

Zubar then powered forward with the ball from centre-half and smashed a speculative effort into the home fans behind the goal, who gave the skipper a warm cheer for the effort as he ran back into position.

Then from a set-piece, Zubar’s header forced a sublime stop from Clark.

A couple of chances then went begging for Yetton as Weymouth took complete control in the latter stages, but it was not to matter as the hosts ended the contest comfortable winners.


Date Time League Season
28th January 2017 3:00 pm Southern League Premier 2016/17


Bob Lucas Stadium
Wessex Stadium, Radipole Lane, Weymouth DT4 9XJ, United Kingdom



KO 67 80 80 FT