Weymouth vs Dorchester Town



Weymouth triumph over Dorchester in a derby cup classic


Goodship 31, Ngalo 90


Diaz 7, Seymour 29

WEYMOUTH finally broke down Dorchester to complete a remarkable comeback victory on penalties after their Dorset Senior Cup quarter-final finished 2-2.

In a frantic first half, Dorchester went 2-0 up through Antonio Diaz and Ben Seymour, before Brandon Goodship narrowed the scores and Seymour was sent off after 35 minutes for violent conduct.

Weymouth managed a late, brilliant equaliser through Jordan Ngalo, while Dorchester lost their nerve on penalties in front of a raucous home crowd behind the goal, Goodship with the winner.

Weymouth made seven changes to the side that beat St Albans City last week with Calvin Brooks, Callum Buckley, Goodship and Ngalo the only players to keep their place.

Lloyd Thomas, Ashley Wells, Tiago Sa, Jordan Rose, Josh Carmichael, Harry Baker and Abdulai Baggie all came in for the much-changed Terras.

Dorchester were a complete contrast, as they made no changes to the side that beat Frome Town 1-0 last week, but Callum Rose and Tom Blair returned from their suspensions to make the bench.

Dorchester started the better of the two, without any real end product, with the closest chance in the immediate stages being a Sam Jackson ball that failed to find a fellow Magpie.

Diaz cemented the early great start, with the former Terra scoring his first goal for his new club against his old.

Tiago Sa lost the ball to Billy Lowes and the Magpies countered ruthlessly, allowing Diaz to curl past Thomas in the Weymouth goal.

This was the first time Weymouth had fallen behind to Dorchester for the first time in Mark Molesley’s tenure as boss of the Terras.

However, Weymouth nearly got a swift reply, when Ashley Wells bombed down the right-hand side, but his cross evaded everyone inside the box.

Not long later, a corner from Cameron Murray ricocheted back to him and a shot from the edge of the box took a touch from Buckley and almost looped over Thomas.

Diaz then prompted a great save from Thomas, as he turned and fired in a deflected effort that the Terras’ keeper did well to save.

After 21 minutes, Wells took a yellow card for a late challenge on Sam Jackson, but the Magpies could not capitalise from the free-kick just inside the Weymouth half.

Weymouth were starting to show signs of stirring, as Goodship then forced a good save from Dorchester goalkeeper Kingsley Latham after 25 minutes.

Yet the Magpies were more up for this contest and it showed when Seymour broke away down the right and into the outskirts of the box to confidently fire Dorchester 2-0 up after 29 minutes.

The derby had burst into life as Goodship narrowed the margin with a sumptuous curling strike from the edge of the area.

Yet the Magpies shot themselves in the foot with a recurring bullet, as Seymour was sent off for raising hands to Wells’ face shortly after to take Dorchester’s miserable tally of reds to seven this season.

In the ensuing frustrations Carmichael received a yellow card for a shove in the back on Seymour.

Weymouth nearly had an equaliser late on in the half when Rose played a ball to Brooks who shot at Latham, the keeper making a smart reflex save.

Brooks again nearly equalised, with a rising shot that Latham had to palm away.

The Terras picked up where they left off, with Baggie forcing Latham into a low, but easy, save.

Yet on the whole it was a quiet start to the half, with Weymouth on top but the Magpies handling their one-man disadvantage very well.

Weymouth nearly equalised after 70 minutes however, when the Terras broke forward and Baggie, inside the box, slammed two shots against the Dorchester defence before substitute Josh Wakefield crashed an effort against the post.

Weymouth continued to press as Baker saw an effort headed over from a Brooks’ cross, Goodship rattled the crossbar late on and Wakefield nearly scored an ambitious volley.

Yet at the death, Ngalo whipped in a rasping effort from outside the box to equalise.

Baker should have won it at the end after scrambling onto the end of a Goodship dink into the box, but hooked it just wide.

Extra-time followed and Weymouth dominated, with Goodship crashing an effort off the inside of the near post, while Magpies’ sub Ash Pope lobbed a horrible effort wide after being put through by Blair.

Both sides were guilty of missing golden chances and penalties arrived with both sides unable to break each other down after extra-time.

Dorchester missed three penalties through Murray, Josh Bailey and Neil Martin after Baker and Jake McCarthy both scored for Weymouth.

Blair kept the shootout alive but it was Goodship who slammed home the winning spot-kick to end a dramatic cup tie.

Weymouth host Frome Town on Saturday, while Dorchester Town travel to Gosport Borough in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier South (both 3pm).

Terras: Thomas, Wells (Wakefield 62), Sa, Rose, Buckley, Carmichael, Brooks (McCarthy 80), Ngalo, Baker, Goodship, Baggie (Thomson 110). Subs not used: Seabright, Farrugia

Magpies: Latham, Egan, Martin, Carmichael, Kite (Panesar-Dower 110), Murray, Bailey, Lowes, Seymour, Diaz (Pope 81), Jackson (Blair 91). Subs not used: Rose, Winsper

Attendance: 407


Date Time League Season
4th December 2018 7:45 pm Dorset Senior Cup 2018/19


Bob Lucas Stadium
Wessex Stadium, Radipole Lane, Weymouth DT4 9XJ, United Kingdom


Dorchester Town2Loss

KO 62 80 110 FT