WOEFUL Weymouth crashed out of the FA Trophy with hardly a whimper at Chesham United.

The terrible Terras gave one of their worst displays in recent memory and were well beaten by the high-flying Ryman Premier Division outfit.

In fact, a clear indication of their shocking performance was that it took 86 minutes for them to muster an effort on home keeper Delroy Preddie’s goal.

And even then the tame shot was a deflected Simon Browne drive that hardly caused Preddie to get his knees dirty.

Many more showings like this and director of football Des Bulpin will know that any hopes they currently have of mounting a title challenge will be well and truly gone.

The hosts looked the far fitter and sharper of the two sides and the writing was on the wall for Weymouth when Chesham took the lead with the first incident of note on 17 minutes.

Dangerman forward Wayne Andrews – who constantly ran the visitors rearguard ragged – forced his way to the by-line before whipping in a cross which was missed by a clutch of Terras defenders and fired home by midfielder Ernie Cooksey.

That early setback was a sign of things to follow as desperate Weymouth resorted to whacking long balls forward in the hope of finding a way through.

But with strike duo David Laws and Lee Phillips never getting a decent supply, any hopes the Terras may have had of getting back into it were killed off six minutes before the break.

And it was no surprise that it was ex-Watford and Peterborough striker Andrews who had a big say in it.

He set off on a strong run down the left before releasing Richard Graham just inside the box with his back to goal and the former QPR winger sharply turned and fired low into Danny Potter’s bottom left hand corner.

The closest Weymouth came in the opening period was when Ian Hutchinson’s cross from the left flank flashed across goal unopposed.

After the break the dreadful Terras didn’t fare any better despite throwing on substitute Darran Rowbotham in an desperate effort to try and prize a way through a watertight Chesham defence.

And they fell further behind just four minutes after the restart with Andrews again proving a nuisance by setting off on a blistering run down the right flank.

His centre was flicked on by Graham to full-back Gary Wotton at the far post who had the simple task of prodding home.

Potter than prevented any further embarrassment by keeping out decent efforts from Lee Spiller and Andrews.

But he could do nothing to deny Paul Fewings on 64 minutes who latched onto a quickly taken free-kick from deep before sprinting through a non-existence defence and coolly slotting home.

Every time Andrews picked up possession he looked dangerous with Weymouth giving him time and space to pull the strings.

And it was only down to wild finishing from Dereck Brown and Fewings late on that things didn’t get even worse.

The dismal afternoon was summed up with four minutes left when the Terras finally managed to notch a shot on goal which brought sarcastic cheering from the travelling support – Simon Browne’s speculative drive deflected off Lee Kersey and safely into the arms of Preddie.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *