Weymouth’s Slice Of Fortune

Danny Bailey failed a late fitness test on a tweaked hamstring at the City Ground today as Weymouth lined up against fellow strugglers Cambridge City.

On a grey, dark, and bitterly cold afternoon in Cambridgeshire Weymouth kicked off down the slope and enjoyed the vast majority of the possession without worrying Martin Davies in the host’s goal for the first quarter hour. Jason Matthew’s snatched a Colin Vowden header from under the bar following a 20 minute Richard Wilson free kick on the edge of the area, Weymouth bounded back down to the other end and were awarded a free kick, which was taken by Hutchinson out on the right, Alex Browne rose high but headed wide.

Cambridge hard man Steve Holden, who had been putting himself about in the opening exchanges used up all his Brownie points with Mr Jones from Lincoln putting his name into his note book after an extremely late tackle on Lee Phillips, the resultant free kick was wasted.

Cambridge’s only game plan was hoof it down the channels and see what happens, bread and butter to Waldock and Browne.

Lee Phillips surges forwardWeymouth continued to press forward and Cambridge continued to frustrate, Ryan Ashford had a stab from 30 yards which was easily gathered by Davies but Weymouth finally took the lead on 34 minutes, With Cambridge squeezing up into Weymouth half, Simon Browne saw the opportunity to set Phillips on a run, Davies got to the ball just before Phillips, but he sliced his clearance and Phillips pounced, rounded the hapless Davies and slotted home.

Weymouth seized the moment and for the next 10 minutes played Cambridge off the park, much to the annoyance of the locals who pilloried their manager and chairman.

In a rare Cambridge attack Matthews was called to collect at the feet of Kevin Wilson, his long throw out to Robinson had the host’s on the back foot, Curly threaded the ball to Ashford, he beat his marker and crossed to Hutchinson whose shot was beaten away by a defender.

So at half time the score was Cambridge City 0 Weymouth 1

Weymouth came out all guns blazing for the restart, Alex Browne’s header from a Tulley free kick on the right was about to be poked home by Phillips but was adjudged offside, Tulley found himself in acres of space and bearing down on goal after 55 minutes he should have done better as he blazed over from 8 yards. A minute later Robinson won his mid field battle with Vowden, he crossed to Hutchinson who slipped the ball to Phillips, his effort flew over the bar.

On the hour Rob Nightingale tore down the left flank to the by line, his cross flashed in front of goal but no Cambridge foot was there to tap home.

The effervescent Phillips succeeded in planting the ball in the net on 67 minutes but was ruled offside as Weymouth took charge and bullied the midfield.

Cambridge took the fight to the Terra’s for about ten minutes as the Terras lived dangerously and gave away numerous free kicks in front of goal, luckily for Weymouth their set pieces were terrible.

The hard working Matt Hale teamed up well with Hutchinson on the left flank, his by line run and subsequent cross to Charles was the stuff dreams are made of but Charles with the goal at his mercy shot wide from 7 yards.

Hale made another great cross minutes later, the ball was pushed out only as far as Robinson whose weak shot flashed across goal and went for a goal kick.

Weymouth lived dangerously on the 83rd minute when Simon Browne scythed down Danny Bloomfield right on the edge of the box, he picked up his fifth booking of the season and Wooding produced a spot kick that was well saved by Matthews.

This was end to end stuff as Weymouth then surged forward through Hutchinson and Hale, they tied up play in the corner before releasing the ball to Phillips in front of goal, but the ball fell just behind him and his shot lacked power.

Right at the death Phillips was booked for dissent, Mr Jones awarded Cambridge a lifeline of a free kick on the edge of the box right in front of goal, but Woodings effort went well over and as Weymouth surged forward again Mr Jones blew his whistle much to the relief of the blue visiting fans as Weymouth climbed above their host’s in league.

So at the final whistle the scores remained:

Cambridge City 0 Weymouth 1

Away support top Terra: Lee Phillips

Another great team performance that was only spoiled by poor finishing, however as one wag said “you can score one goal or ten, you only get three points.”

Cambridge City:
Martin Davies, Tim Wooding, Shane Wardley, Steve Holden (bkd), Colin Vowden,
Richard Wilson, Rob Nightingale, Adrian Hayes, Darren Collins, Danny Bloomfield, Che Wilson (bkd 70).
Subs: Jack Wignall, Lee Pacey, Richard Skelly, Kevin Wilkin, Matt Clements

Jason Matthews, Steve Tully, Simon Browne, Alex Browne, John Waldock, Matthew Hale, Mark Robinson, Ian Hutchinson, Ryan Ashford (bkd 72) (Michael Dean 90), Julian Charles (Marc Whiteman 90), Lee Phillips 1 (bkd 40).
Subs not used: Shaun Adamson, Mark Kenway.
Goal: Phillips 34

Referee: Adrian Jones ( Lincoln )

Attendance: 437

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *