Kettering Town
Starting Line-Up
Grocott (Wright 63)
Brown (Marsden 17)
(Sandy 63)
Unused subs
The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier
Latimer Park
Burton Latimer
Kick Off
Kettering Town
Yetton 47
Kettering Town
Sent Off
Kettering Town
Guy Stretton
Starting Line-Up
Baldwin (Wells 57)
Grant (McPhee 67)
Copp (Molesley 77)
Unused subs

Stewart Yetton is Weymouth’s saviour yet again

STEWART Yetton was Weymouth’s match-winner for the second time in a week as his second-half header secured a hard-fought victory at Latimer Park.

The Terras’ skipper, whose late strike saw off Bideford on Tuesday, netted the only goal of the game to give his side another three points.

That now takes Weymouth’s tally in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division into double figures and sets them up nicely for a double-header against St Neots and Dorchester over the forthcoming Bank Holiday weekend.

Player-manager Jason Matthews named an unchanged starting XI for today’s encounter, although Matt Buse came in for Tim Sills on the bench.

Enol Ordonez and Miles Smith made their debuts for Kettering in place of Jamie McAlindon and Richard Bryan who dropped to the bench. James Brighton also replaced Steve Kinniburgh.

The hosts had the better of the early stages and created the first chance of the contest on five minutes.

Striker Jevani Brown surged forward, cut inside, and then curled an effort which flew inches wide of the far post.

Brown was involved again four minutes later when he found Saul Williams and the midfielder fired a shot that, like his team-mate’s attempt, narrowly missed the target.

The Terras had to wait until a quarter of an hour in before having their first real sight on the Poppies’ goal.

Some good build up play resulted in Yetton firing wide under pressure from Gary Mulligan.

Kettering may have been enjoying the lion’s share of the scoring opportunities but they were dealt a blow in the 17th minute.

Centre forward Brown pulled up as he chased the ball and had to be replaced by Justin Marsden.

Will Grocott and Brett Solkhon then tested the Weymouth rearguard with attempts at goal, but the first was easily gathered by Matthews and the second went wide.

Kettering continued to probe as the match moved towards half-time.

Smith’s free-kick was met by the head of Mulligan, however, Matthews was more than equal to it with an easy save.

A Grocott cross found Marsden who turned and then drove an effort that was again comfortable for Matthews to gather after it took a deflection.

Neither side could find a goal before the break, although the Terras did go close to breaking the deadlock at a corner that couldn’t quite be turned in from close range.

Having had a relatively quiet first half by his standards, Yetton got the second period off with a bang.

Jordan Copp took a quick throw-in and Adam Kelly delivered an inswinging cross that was met by Yetton.

The striker still had a lot of work to do but he soared into the air and directed a superb header that flew past Ordonez.

It might have got even better for the Terras soon after but Copp blasted over following poor defending from the Poppies.

Kettering hit back immediately and Solkhon connected well with a corner only for the ball to strike the post.

Injury then forced Pat Baldwin to leave the field on 57 minutes, with Ashley Wells coming on in his place.

That change was followed by a double substitution for the hosts – Courtney Baker-Richardson and Grocott made way for Elliot Sandy and Nick Wright.

Having played a part in Weymouth’s goal, Copp did well to prevent one at the other end as he got back to block Brighton’s cross.

The flurry of substitutions didn’t help the flow of the game and the Terras made another one on 67 minutes when Chris McPhee replaced Josh Grant.

By this stage Weymouth were happy to protect their lead and play on the counter-attack when the opportunity arose.

And with the wind at their backs, the Terras were certainly being helped by the elements when Matthews looked to launch a quick break.

Weymouth nearly sealed the three points in the 81st minute.

A poor headed clearance from Dominic Langdon was taken advantage of by Mark Molesley, on for Copp, and the midfielder cracked a shot that rattled the woodwork.

There was a bit of late pressure from the hosts and Matthews’ men needed to be on their toes at the back, but the Poppies didn’t create anything that really looked like finding the back of the net.

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *