BOSS Jason Matthews hailed the character his side showed in putting the disappointment of going a goal behind to eventually progress in the FA Trophy last night.

The Terras were facing another early exit from a major cup competition this season when they trailed 1-0 at half-time in their first qualifying round tie against Winchester City.

However, Weymouth turned things around at the Denplan County Ground in Hampshire thanks to Dean Evans’ equaliser and Jordan Copp’s winning goal.

“It was a fantastic result,” said player-manager Matthews, whose team earned £2,700 for seeing off their Evo-Stik Southern Division One South & West hosts.

“The lads showed great character to come back from a goal down and win the game.

“It was a good test for us and the boys stayed strong despite us having a few players out with injuries.

“It was a typical end-to-end cup tie and just what you would expect when you are playing a team from a lower league.
“We had a bad 10-minute spell in the first half but I thought we dominated the second half.

“Both of the lads who scored took their goals really well, they were good finishes.

“Dean stuck his chance away just after half-time and that is always a great time to score.

“It was also nice to come away without too many knocks because we’ve got a couple on the treatment table at the moment.”

He continued: “Winchester had threats in Dan Cann and Warren Bentley up front, and they are a decent side.

“I think they will be right up there in their league come the end of the season and quite a few teams are going to come unstuck at their place.

“I’m just pleased that we got through it and we can now look forward to the next round.”
Matthews did reveal that defender Pat Baldwin had to come off near the end of the match with a calf strain.

The second qualifying round takes place in a fortnight, with an additional £3,250 on offer to the winners of those ties.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *