Starting Line-Up
Kelly (Yetton 80)
Thomson (Surridge 88)
Unused subs
The Evo-Stik League Southern Premier
Bob Lucas Stadium
Kick Off
Evans 23
Cambridge City
Cambridge City
Sent Off
Cambridge City
D Wootton
Cambridge City
Starting Line-Up
Kelly (Serrano 39)
Fehmi (Maslen-Jones 80)
Unused subs

Dean Evans exocet helps Weymouth see off Cambridge City

A DEAN Evans strike midway through the first half ensured Weymouth recorded back-to-back Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division wins with a triumph over Cambridge City at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Evans rifled home an unstoppable effort midway through the opening period to move Weymouth up to third spot in the league table.

Terras’ chief Jason Matthews made one change to the side that won comfortably at Histon last time out.

Midfielder Mark Molesley, a former Cambridge City man, was out of the hosts’ squad completely, meaning Billy Lowes came into the Weymouth line-up.

Sam Surridge was also named on the bench as his loan spell from AFC Bournemouth continued.

Visitors Cambridge came into the encounter with just one point from their previous three outings, including a 3-0 loss against Dorchester at the Avenue on Saturday.

Duran Reynolds, who netted the winner when the sides met in the reverse fixture on the opening day of the season, was named in the Lilywhites’ starting XI.

On a bitterly cold evening at the Bob Lucas Stadium, the Terras’ first half-chance came after just two minutes.

Adam Kelly and Chris Shephard combined and the latter managed to skip away from his man, but his effort from 20 yards was dragged well wide.

At the other end, Cambridge captain Buster Harradine then left fly with an effort which was comfortably gathered by Weymouth keeper Matthews.

The Lilywhites then broke down the right and Danny Kelly saw his strike at goal charged down.

But just as Cambridge looked to be slightly in the ascendancy, Weymouth stepped it up a gear and eventually took the lead.

Full-back Ashley Wells surged forward and was fouled on the edge of the area. Shephard and Kelly lined up the free-kick and the former’s strike was beaten away by Barrett.

The Lilywhites’ stopper then got up swiftly to deny Kelly, who had burst into the box to fire the rebound at goal.

However, from the resulting corner, Weymouth got their reward.

A slick routine from the Terras saw the ball swung in from the right for Evans to strike a scintillating volley into the top corner on 23 minutes.

Another free-kick given away by the visitors then almost allowed the Terras to make it two. After Adam Murray was cautioned for a foul, Shephard lined up another attempt which clipped the top of the crossbar.

With the hosts now well on the front foot, Evans almost notched his second as he ran menacingly to the back post to meet Shephard’s corner but his effort was blocked.

Minutes later, Ben Thomson hit a strike which flew just over the bar.

Danny Kelly’s night then came to an abrupt end as he was replaced by Alex Serrano with just over five minutes left in the opening period.

Goalscorer Evans was cautioned for a hefty challenge on Serrano shortly after the break as the second period started as quietly as the first.

Just past the hour mark, a last-ditch challenge by Weymouth defender Pat Baldwin denied Lilywhites’ striker Kaan Fehmi the chance to run in on goal.

After a lull in chances for around 20 minutes, the Terras then carved out a glorious opening to double their lead.

Thomson did well to flick the ball on to Shephard who raced in on goal and tested Barrett with a fierce strike which was beaten away.

Weymouth then protested for a handball inside the Cambridge area as the ball was fizzed across goal, but the protests were waved away by the match official.

Stewart Yetton then came on in place of Adam Kelly for the home side with 10 minutes left and a chance involving him, Thomson and Shephard went begging after Thomson had out-muscled his man on the left flank.

George Rigg thought he had wrapped up the points for Matthews’ side when he smashed the ball home on the rebound after a sharp stop by Barrett, only to be flagged offside.

The hosts hit the bar once more with a few minutes left on the clock, but it was not to matter as they stood firm to record a big victory.

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *