Weymouth rally to seal a point against 10-man Merthyr Town


A Evans 16, Copp 77


Fleetwood 73, D Evans 81

DEAN Evans struck nine minutes from time as Weymouth responded to seal a point against 10-man Merthyr Town.

The Terras came back from behind on two separate occasions to seal their 15th draw of the season, and head back to Dorset with something to show for their efforts with a stretched squad, against one of the league’s promotion chasing sides.

Weymouth went into the contest having only named two substitutes on the bench for the encounter, including player-manager Jason Matthews.

 There was no Tiago Sa or Mark Molesley in the Weymouth squad, the latter was believed to be attending a coaching course – youngster Dom Panesar-Dower was left as the only outfield player on the bench.

Hosts Merthyr would have been a figure of envy for the Terras before kick-off, the Martyrs were the current holders of fifth spot in the league – the final play-off place in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

The Welsh side also went into the game having recorded 20 points from their last 10 league outings – they had, however, like Weymouth, only won one of their last four.

Kayne McLaggon, who had racked up 17 goals this term, led the line for the home side with 15-goal Ian Traylor on the bench.

The Terras have been synonymous with starting relatively slowly in recent games and they were within inches of falling behind after just three minutes.

A fizzing effort from Merthyr’s Keyon Reffell rattled the crossbar from all of 30 yards as Matthews’ men were given an early warning.

The Martyrs didn’t let the visitors off the hook second time round however, as they took the lead on 16 minutes.

Skipper Ashley Evans showed great technique to find the top corner with a neat volley from the edge of the box to put his side in front.

Tom McHale in the Weymouth goal then showed what he could do by producing a superb save of his own.

A chance then went begging for Terras’ frontman Stuart Fleetwood, the former Wales youth international dragged an effort just wide of the post as Weymouth went in at the break behind.

McHale was then kept busy once again early in the second period as he was tasked with making a good save at his near post to deny Merthyr’s Jack Compton.

Despite trailing, the Terras were given a numerical advantage on 53 minutes. Martyrs’ frontman Reffell was sent off for what was deemed a reckless challenge.

But on 73 minutes, Thomson’s strike partner Fleetwood made no mistake when his opportunity came to make it 1-1.

The former Cardiff City man produced a scintillating lofted effort which lobbed keeper Davies and found the net.

Parity was short-lived for Matthews’ men however as Merthyr regained the advantage just four minutes later from the penalty spot – substitute Kyle Copp, formerly of Swansea and Yeovil, slotted home after Corey Jenkins was felled in the box.

He headed home after a slick move from the away side on 81 minutes to ensure the spoils were shared.

Merthyr: O Davies, A Davies, Tancock, A Evans, McDonald, Wright, Richards (Copp), Patten, McLaggon (Jenkins), Reffell, Compton (Traylor). Sub not used: Bowen

Terras: McHale, Wells, Cooper, Zubar, Brooks, D Evans, Davis (Panesar-Dower), Lowes, Fleetwood, Thomson, Rodriguez. Sub not used: Matthews

Bookings: Merthyr – None

Terras – Evans, Thomson

Sent off: Merthyr – Reffell

Terras – None

Attendance: 611

Similar Posts