Weymouth top Poppies to claim league title


Solkhon 85


Brooks 25

Weymouth win 5-3 on penalties

WEYMOUTH edged a tight champion of champions encounter with a 5-3 victory on penalties at Kettering Town, after the two sides were deadlocked 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Kettering were guilty of missing numerous chances, and after Calvin Brooks handed the Terras a 25th-minute lead, the home side did not equalise until the 85th minute through Brett Solkhon.

The Terras defended well despite a lot of pressure, and were very calm in the penalty shoot out to be named the Evo-Stik Southern League champions of the 2018/19 season.

Mark Childs made his first start for the club, and Brennan Camp also started for Weymouth.

In a rarity for the Weymouth squad, it did not feature usual captain Jake McCarthy.

Cameron Murray came in for Josh Wakefield and Harry Baker replaced Ben Thomson, who was also absent from the team.

In a windy day at Latimer Park, Brandon Goodship, who captained the Terras, had the first real opportunity.

From the edge of the area, Goodship lashed in a wind-assisted shot that forced Kettering goalkeeper Paul White into a difficult save.

Rhys Hoenes should have put the home side a goal up, when from a White goal-kick he took the ball past Mark Childs in the Weymouth goal, but blazed over when it seemed easier to score.

Childs then received a yellow card when he handled the ball outside of the box soon after.

From the free-kick, Stephane Zubar nodded the ball over the bar with Kettering defenders lurking.

The Poppies were unable to pose a threat from the free-kick however.

Yet on the whole, much like the last weekend of the league season, the first half was quiet as the wind took its toll on the contest.

Michael Richens kept Childs on his toes with a shot from distance, but it was just over the Weymouth bar.

However, the Terras would take the lead after 25 minutes.

A one-two between Yemi Odubade and Brooks saw the latter touch the ball into the corner to spark celebrations among the travelling Weymouth support.

Aaron O’Connor went close to an equaliser for the Poppies, but rolled an effort just wide after good work from Richens.

The Poppies also went close again later on in the half, when a corner from Marcus Kelly resulted in O’Connor nodding just over the bar.

The Terras had other chances, and Josh Carmichael briefly tested White with a shot at the Kettering goalkeeper late on in the half.

O’Connor headed straight at Childs from four yards out as the Poppies again missed a golden chance, as the half ended with the Terras in front.

The second half started quietly, until Stephane Zubar nodded wide from a free header inside the Poppies’ box after 55 minutes.

The second period was much better from the Terras, who asserted themselves in the contest well.

It was not until 15 minutes in that the home side had their real chance, but Richens fired well over the bar.

Yet Hoenes went down in the box soon after and earned a penalty.

Hoenes shot to the centre of the goal, but Childs saved with his trailing leg, putting the ball over the bar to avert the danger.

Kettering were growing into the half, and began to pressure the Terras’ defence further.

Another great chance presented itself for the home side, when Kelly curled a free-kick just wide of the post.

Solkhon was brought on with 19 minutes remaining, and he helped the Poppies to put more pressure on the Weymouth defence.

Declan Towers then hacked a shot wide, as the Poppies were pressuring the Terras superbly.

The Poppies even put the ball in the back of the net, but were denied by the offside flag.

Still, the Poppies would equalise, when substitute Solkhon turned the ball into the net from close range to finally defeat Childs.

With no extra time, the match went to penalties, with Childs saving Kettering’s fourth penalty, from Kelly, before Goodship fired in to wrap up the contest and Weymouth’s now double-trophy winning season.

Kettering: White, Stohrer, Richens (Solkhon 71), Meikle (Brighton 61), O’Connor, Hoenes, Kelly-Evans, Kelly, Towers, Rowe-Turner, Stanley.

Subs not used: Toseland, Graham, Massaro

Terras: Childs, Brooks, Ngalo, Camp, Zubar, Carmichael, Odubade (Wakefield 77), Murray, Baker, Goodship, Baggie

Subs not used: McHale, Farrugia, McQuoid

Attendance: 521

Referee: Ritchie Watkins

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *