Weymouth well-beaten by spirited Centurions


Gudger 5, 76 Dunton 70


WEYMOUTH’S unbeaten run in all competitions went up in smoke as they were well beaten at struggling Cirencester Town.

The Terras fell to a disappointing defeat against the Centurions at the Corinium Stadium, as the home side kept their hopes of staying in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division alive.

The Terras, unbeaten in 12 games in all competitions ahead of kick-off, made no fewer than four changes to their starting XI for the clash with the Centurions, who needed nothing less than a victory to effectively keep their hopes of staying up alive.

Out went Stephane Zubar, Stuart Fleetwood, Charlie Davis and Sean Stewart for the away side.

The four to come in were Tiago Sa, Dom Panesar-Dower, Billy Lowes and Aaron Rodriguez as Weymouth only named four replacements on the bench for the clash.

Danny Gudger, who scored twice for Cirencester during their shock 2-0 win over Slough Town on Good Friday, kept his place in the hosts’ line-up.

And it was Gudger who extended his scoring run after just five minutes, as the home side took the lead.

He was on hand to tap home after good work from Kerry Morgan had split open the Terras’ defence.

After conceding for the first time under caretaker bosses Mark Molesley and Paul Maitland, the Terras then looked to get back on level terms.

Rodriguez delivered a dangerous ball for striker Ben Thomson, who failed to connect with the cross.

Another chance then fell to the former Frome Town striker, but, having met the cross from Rodriguez on this occasion, he headed over the bar.

Cirencester’s Morgan received a caution for a late challenge before Ellis Dunton headed straight at Nick Thomas in the Weymouth goal.

At the other end, the Terras then had a shout for a penalty waved away. Calvin Brooks got forward and went down under a challenge in the area, but referee Andrew Sheppard was having none of it.

The hosts then looked to extend their lead at the break but the Terras managed to get in at the interval just one goal behind.

Molesley and Maitland showed no fear in making a change at the interval, as striker Fleetwood was brought on in place of Jake Wannell.

And more firepower almost paid quick dividends at the away side went close from a free-kick. The ball was centred for frontman Thomson, who directed his header straight at Glyn Garner in the home goal.

Panesar-Dower was then replaced by Stewart, as the away side looked for a response in what was a relatively quiet opening to the second half.

But it was the Centurions that found their second of the game to keep their hopes of survival alive.

A free-kick played in from Henry Spalding was headed into the path of Dunton, who was on hand to convert after some poor defending from Weymouth.

And two soon became three on 76 minutes as Gudger was at it again, he took the ball round a stranded Thomas to wrap the game up.

That was not the end of the Weymouth keeper’s afternoon however, as he managed to deny Gudger a hat-trick after the Terras gave away a penalty, as the wheels continued to come off for the visitors.

It was to be Gudger’s afternoon however, as he was replaced with just a minute to go as his side took their quest for safety to the final day and left the Terras pondering what exactly went wrong.

Terras: Thomas, Cooper, Sa, Evans, Wannell (Fleetwood 46), Wells, Brooks, Lowes (Davis 72), Rodriguez, Thomson, Panesar-Dower (Stewart 62). Sub not used: Molesley

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts