Brandon’s spot on to stun the Dragons

WEYMOUTH scored two goals in the last six minutes to record a dramatic 3-2 win over Basingstoke in their entertaining Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division fixture at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Ben Wright gave the Dragons a fourth-minute lead before Ben Thomson equalised in the 61st minute from close range.

Sam Smart regained the visitors’ lead shortly afterwards before Calvin Brooks’ side-footed effort and a stoppage-time Brandon Goodship penalty handed the Terras a precious win.

Weymouth manager Mark Molesley made two changes to the side that began the 2-0 loss to Hereford, with Antonio Diaz and Charlie Davis replaced by Calvin Brooks, who returned to the starting XI line up after suspension, and Harry Baker.

Ben Thomson, who was substituted at half-time on Saturday, recovered sufficiently from a hamstring strain to retain his starting berth.

There was no place on the subs’ bench for Diaz, but forward Harry McGrath was recalled to the bench alongside Davis, Tiago Sa, Josh Wakefield and Joe Prodomo.

The Terras began in the ascendancy, Baker forcing a corner when Dragons’ left-back George Bennett kneed behind in the first minute, but when it came to nothing, Basingstoke scored with the first meaningful attack.

Weymouth were caught short with just two defenders attending to three Basingstoke forwards and the resulting overlap allowed Wright to cut inside Brooks and slot the ball past Mark Travers at his near post in the fourth minute.

The hosts were given a let off three minutes later when lively winger Sam Smart, who had been a chief tormentor of Dorchester earlier this season, outpaced Mark Cooper and left Brooks on the floor before cutting inside and firing at Travers’ near-post, the big goalkeeper doing well to keep his effort out using his legs.

On the quarter-hour mark, Travers came to Weymouth’s rescue once more when a corner to the back post was skewed across goal by Shane Hollamby, his volley ricocheting off Jack McKnight, across goal and forcing Travers into scooping the ball clear on the goalline.

But the Terras gathered themselves after that shaky start and gradually asserted their authority on the match. Josh Carmichael had two half-chances, the first when he glanced a header wide of Aaron Holt’s far post, and secondly when his crisp volley from 20 yards flew just over the bar.

Basingstoke sat increasingly deeper as the half wore on, with Brooks able to construct a mazy run and cross dangerously six yards out, only to see his delivery cleared and the resultant corner overhit by Callum Buckley.

Weymouth began the second half as they ended the first, with Goodship sending a 25-yard curler over the bar before the hosts saw strong handball appeals waved away by referee Colin Hubbard when Bennett slid in recklessly.

The Terras had their first big chance in the 59th minute when Carmichael’s driven cross found Goodship, but the forward’s left-footed shot was saved at the near post by Holt.

Two minutes later, Weymouth were level through Thomson.

Baker was the architect, running through on goal and sending a goalbound shot skidding across the turf, with Thomson blocking the resulting goalline clearance straight into the net.

Parity only lasted three minutes for the hosts as the slippery Smart was found on the right of the box before the teenager planted the ball past Travers.

Basingstoke’s goal was very much against the run of play and Goodship saw another effort blocked from 12 yards before Carmichael headed over from the following corner.

Travers was called into action again on 70 minutes, getting down superbly to deny Sam Deadfield after Wright dispossessed the hesitant Toby Down.

Six minutes from time, Weymouth claimed a fully-merited equaliser from man-of-the-match Brooks.

Thomson popped up on the left-hand side and drove a low cross in for Brooks, who steered a side-foot finish into the far left corner.

Weymouth’s leveller set up a dramatic grandstand finish as the hosts won a penalty after Dan Bayliss was adjudged to have fouled Thomson. Goodship then stepped up to score the spot-kick despite Holt getting a hand to his effort.

And there was still time for Sam Deadfield to blaze over from three yards after Travers’ tip on to the bar was fired across goal by Smart, but Weymouth held on for the win.

Terras: Travers, Brooks, Buckley, Wells, Down, Cooper (Wakefield 81), Carmichael (McGrath 89), McCarthy, Thomson, Goodship, Baker (Davis 89). Subs not used: J Prodomo, Sa

Basingstoke: Holt, Johnson-Schuster, Bennett, Atkinson, Hollamby, Bayliss, Deadfield, Kennedy, Smart, Wright, McKnight (Artwell 64). Subs not used: Wohifiel, Goater

Attendance: 487

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *