Weymouth frustrated by Bishop’s Stortford leveller


Brooks 59


Foxley 73

A CALVIN Brooks goal was cancelled out by Mark Hughes as Weymouth had to settle for a point in a 1-1 draw with a stern Bishop’s Stortford side at the Bob Lucas Stadium in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Brooks put Weymouth ahead in the 59th minute from a Ben Thomson cross, but Blues’ captain Hughes hit back to level the scores in the 73rd minute as Weymouth remained in third place in the standings.

Goalkeeper Will Dennis made his debut for Weymouth in their only change after his signing was announced on Thursday with Mark Travers having been recalled by Bournemouth.


Prior to the match the Terras also announced that Jordan Ngalo had signed a contract with the club after impressing with substitute appearances against Redditch and Gosport.


Jake McCarthy made his first appearance in the Terras’ matchday squad since November after suffering from appendicitis.

For the Blues, veteran striker Jamie Cureton started having been signed prior to their 3-0 loss to Royston Town on New Year’s Day.

The two sides exchanged early attacks with Terras’ captain Callum Buckley having to clear under pressure from Jack Thomas.

Shortly after, Brandon Goodship worked well with Brooks who found Thomson in the box but the ball ran out for a goal-kick.

Charlie Davis then tried an ambitious effort from the halfway line as he attempted to catch Blues’ goalkeeper Tyler McCarthy off his line, and his shot beat the keeper only to fall narrowly wide.

Weymouth started brightly as Thomson got into the box but before he could fire a shot in he was tackled by Joe Robinson.

Dennis had a nervy moment soon after, dropping the ball with Jason Williams lurking, but Buckley was quick to get the ball away from danger.

Wakefield came close to scoring with an awkward shot that was heading for the bottom corner but McCarthy prevented any danger.

Davis nearly scored as his shot was blocked on the line after a Wakefield cross, while Goodship’s follow-up was blocked in the 28th minute.


Thomson then went on the attack with a long winding run in the 36th minute but his shot from 10 yards out went wide of the left-hand post.

Thomson and Wakefield duly worked well together but the shot from a tight angle from the latter was saved by McCarthy as the first half wound to a close.

Mark Molesley’s men started the second half on the attack as a great run down the right-hand side saw Thomson one-on-one with keeper McCarthy, who was fast off his line to clear the ball away.

Thomson had another great chance early on as he curled a shot over from 15 yards out from a Wakefield cross.

Afolabi Akinyemi worked his way into the Weymouth box for the Blues but his shot went over from a similar distance.

The Blues then built another good attack as Foxley got down the left-hand side again and crossed towards Williams only for Weymouth to clear away.

Moments later the Terras got the breakthrough as a cross from Thomson was headed against the post by Brooks, before he right wing-back managed to tuck the rebound in past McCarthy.

Soon after Goodship had two chances in quick succession, Davis fed the striker and he fired a deflected shot wide before shooting wide from outside the box.

But a spell of pressure from the Blues saw them equalise as a Foxley corner created a scramble in the box, allowing Hughes to tuck home.

Shortly after Buckley slid into block a shot from Cureton to keep the Terras on terms.


After Westcott brought down Thomson a yard outside the box, for which he was booked, Goodship curled the free-kick round the wall prompting McCarthy into a superb save.

The away side went down to 10 men late on after Hughes was sent off for two yellow cards in quick succession for late tackles.

But Weymouth could not find the winner on a frustrating afternoon at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Weymouth’s next match is at home against Larkhall Athletic in the third round of the BigFreeBet.com Challenge Cup.

Terras: Dennis, Wells (Baker 79), Sa, Zubar, Buckley (C), Carmichael (McCarthy 80), Davis, Wakefield (Baggie 60), Thomson, Goodship, Brooks
Subs not used: G.Stewart, Rodriguez

Bishop’s Stortford: McCarthy, Westcott, Foxley, Simpson (Taylor 46), Rogers, Robinson, Thomas, Hughes (C), Williams, Cureton, Akinyemi.
Subs not used: Mason, Brassington, Ryan.
Attendance: 730
Referee: Phillip Eddie

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *