Leitch puts Terras back on top



BIG Andy Leitch sent Margate tumbling to their fourth successive Southern League Premier Division defeat by grabbing Weymouth’s winner two minutes from time at Hartsdown Park yesterday.

For the previous half-hour, the Teras had been forced to defend with some desperation as Margate strove with every sinew to end their barren run.

Then Jimmy McCaiferty broke clear on the right, and Leitch squeezed in his low cross by the for post with the defence again left standing.

It was a goal that put Weymouth back on top of the table with a one-point lead over Ketterng.

All the other four goals came in a lively first half when injury-hit Weymouth — with manager Graham Carr forced to name himself substitute — looked slightly the more dangerous.

Barry Lowe, whose non-stop running did so much to boost Weymouth, put them ahead in the seventh minute when he rifled in a square pass from Tommy Henderson.

Five minutes later Lowe had the misfortune to slice the ball into his own neg in attempting to clear a left-wing cross from John Williams which goalkeeper Gordon Livsey looked to have covered.

Both sides then went close in turn before Weymouth struck again on the half-hour.

The busy Lowe created the opening with a low centre from the right which Derek Courtney cleverly dummied, and the unmarked Henderson lashed home from ten yards’ range.

Weymouth were in control at that point, but one minute from the break Keith Pointer drove in the leveller for Margate after beating two men in the penalty box.

With the slope in their favour in the second half, Margate began to, take a grip on the midfield, but the quick covering Weymouth defence, in which Brian Lawrence was outstanding, held firm.

Livsey made one especially brave dive at the feet of Ricky Fusco, and when he was finally beaten by a raking shot from Williams, up popped Graham Durkin to hook clear from under the bar.

Although Courtney often carried a threat when in possession on the left, the Weymouth attack lost much of their earlier poise and penetration in this half.

Just when they were pulling more men back in a bid to hold on to a hard-earned point, McCafferty got his decisive break and Leitch seized his one chance of a highly entertaining game in immaculate fashion.

Two players were booked, McCafferty and Margate’s Bob Walter, both for fouls.

Weymouth: Livsey, Lawrence, Richards, Dyer, Durkin, Lowe, McCafferty, Henderson, Leitch, Dove, Courtney.

Sub: Carr

Attendance: 832

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *