Beavon’s treble blast

Striker fires Terras into second round



Louis 53, Beavon 81, 85, 88

STUART Beavon hit a seven-minute hat-trick to secure Weymouth’s passage into the second round of the FA Cup.

An inspired substitution by manager Jason Tindall paid immediate dividends when Jefferson Louis headed the Terras into the lead with his first touch.

And it was left to Beavon to take home the matchball with three strikes late on.

Tindall made just one change for the First Round Proper tie at Eastbourne when he brought Beavon back into the starting line up in place of Conal Platt.

At a windy Langley Sports Club the visitors were forced to defend in the face of a stern wind throughout the first period.

The early exchanges saw both sides struggle to settle, but it was the home team that made the initial openings — Scott Ramsey’s shot was blocked and a second effort by the same man was comfortably held by Jon Stewart in goal.

Weymouth’s first real chance came in the 14th minute when Beavon helped Stewart’s kick on to James Coutts, but the midfielder’s shot was saved at the expense of a corner.

Andy Atkin fired high from 25 yards before Stewart’s poor clearance was collected by Pat Harding.

The Boro man set off on a move which involved five of his team-mates before collecting a pass with only Stewart to beat, however, the Terras’ keeper made up for his error with a fine save.

Scott Doe saw his header from Paolo Vernazza’s corner saved while Coutts shot wide after Anton Robinson and Vernazza had combined well to create the opening.

Eastbourne had a terrific opportunity to take the lead in first half injury time when Ben Austin’s quickly taken throw caught the Weymouth defence napping.

Ramsey collected the ball and crossed into the penalty area where Matt Crabb found himself unmarked. Stewart though, did superbly to grasp his headed effort just inside an upright.

Within minutes of the restart Austin’s long clearance fell to home skipper Paul Armstrong, but his cross-cum-shot fell harmlessly wide.

Sixty seconds later Weymouth’s Callum Hart was on hand to clear off the goal line, from the same player.

The complexion of the game changed dramatically in the 53rd minute when Tindall introduced Louis into the attack.

The big man’s first touch of the ball found the back of the net after he rose highest to head the Terras into the lead from Vernazza’s corner.

Although the Terras began to take control of the game, following the goal, the home side looked dangerous on the break and Stewart had to be alert to thwart Allan Tait’s run.

Nick Crittenden, Doe and Robinson all had chances to increase Weymouth’s advantage before Beavon wrapped the tie up In the 8lst minute Vernazza intercepted a poor clearance and fed Louis, who in turn laid a superb ball into Beavon’s path allowing the striker to fire home through the legs of Lee Hook.

Four minutes later Robinson‘s cross was met by Louis, who again fed Beavon. On this occasion the latter left his marker for dead before firing home a low drive.

The 23-year-old completed his hat-trick two minutes from time.

Gavin McCallum’s left-wing cross found Louis whose first-time shot was parried by Hook, luckily though, Beavon was on hand to prod the ball home.

The last action of the game saw Armstrong hit the crossbar with a snap shot, but the game was over as a contest.

Although the scoreline perhaps flattered the Terras there can be no doubt that they deserve their place in the second round following a first rate performance.

Weymouth: Stewart, Doe, Young, Kitamarkie, Hart, Crittenden, Robinson, Vernazza, Coutts (Louis 53), Beavon (Platt 80), McCallum (Phillips 88).

Subs not used: Matthews, Weatherstone.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *