Claridge 2

WEYMOUTH returned to winning form with two late goals from Stephen Claridge at Windsor last night in the GMAC Inter—League Cup — and must have given their confidence a boost.

But it took the Terras 80 minutes to break the deadlock after brilliant young Windsor goalkeeper Kevin Mitchell made several spectacular saves.

Even then, Weymouth had one awful moment in the 69th minute, when the Vauxhall Opel League club went within an ace of taking a shock lead.

Gary Attrell crossed from the right and substitute Dean Woodley burst through to send in a superb volley that rebounded from the near post.

As the ball bounced loose across the box, Mark Franks attempted an overhead shot and Len Bond, the Weymouth goalkeeper, did well to save above his head.

Weymouth were in charge for much of the game and deserved their success.

A surprise appearance at the back in a sweeper role was Tony Doherty, the elder brother of striker, Mick, who was signed on a non-contract basis just before the game.

Doherty, who has been playing with Farnborough, covered well and looked useful.

Commented Weymouth manager Brian Godfrey: “This was better. We bounced back well from Saturday’s poor display at Kettering. We made chances, and it was good to see the way Steve took his goals. This could prove to be just, the boost he needs.”

As far as Tony Doherty was concerned, he said: “He looked sharp and played well. I was happy with his performance.

Before he went off in the 39th minute with a recurrence of his ankle trouble, Peter Turrell brought the first of a series of outstanding saves from Mitchell.

Tony Agana had beaten a defender and centred. Mick Doherty back-heeled, and Turrell powered in a shot from ten yards which Mitchell clawed down.

Doherty went close with a lob which skimmed the crossbar early in the second half, and Mitchell deserved the applause he drew for blocking bravely at point-blank range from Tom Jones.

But Weymouth, for all their superiority, quickly realised how matters could so easily have turned against them when Woodley went close to giving the Royalists the lead.

In view of this, it was a relief when Claridge stepped in to score from a well-laid Jones‘ pass in the 80th minute.

Two minutes later, Claridge was on target again, pouncing to finish off after Jones had crossed and Agana’s shot was blocked.

But even then Windsor made a late effort which brought the save of the match from Bond, who changed direction to tum one handed a crashing free-kick from Woodley over his bar.

Weymouth: Bond, Steele, M Rogers, Arnold, Bourne, Iannone, Jones, T Doherty, Turrell, M Doherty, Agana.

Sub: Claridge

Sub not used: Greeno

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *