Wrexham complete comeback at Weymouth


McQuoid 3, McCarthy 25


Vassell 73, 74, Hall-Johnson 90+5

Report: Alfie Lumb

Weymouth let a two goal lead fall through their fingers as they fell to Wrexham 3-2 with the last kick of the game.

Brian Stock made two changes following Saturday’s 2-1 defeat away at Wealdstone as Ollie Harfield and Calvin Brooks replace Myles Anderson and Brennan Camp.

The Terras got off to a flying start, scoring in the 3rd minute. Harfield whipped the ball in from the left wing. The ball was looped in towards the back post and cushioned across goal by striker Ben Thomson. Captain and birthday boy Josh McQuoid directed the ball goal bound beyond Rob Lainton.

Elliot Durrell got close to bringing the Red Dragons back into the game in the tenth minute. The number seven unleashed a drilled shot from twenty five yards out central to the goal. The ball fizzed through the players and went wide of Jack Bycroft’s right post.

Josh Leslie-Smith suffered an injury and was substituted for Myles Anderson.

The Terras were pressuring the Wrexham backline and extended their lead in the twenty fifth minute from a corner. Sean Shields’ ball in was met by Jake McCarthy. The midfielder’s bullet header went beyond Lainton. The goalkeeper was helpless and could only watch the ball go in.

New signing Zaid Al-Hussaini was looking sharp. The tricky winger turned Wrexham’s left back and drove towards the goal. His shot was wayward and blazed over the bar.

Wrexham had a chance to pull a goal back in the forty first minute. Their players had gone on the attack and had a succession of shots from their defenders, however Terras players were quick to get rid of the danger.

Brooks made space in Wrexham’s half but his shot was drilled straight towards Lainton.

The last chance of the first half fell to the away side. Jay Harris unleashed a shot with his left foot twenty yards out. The ball had little curve and went to the left of Bycroft’s goal.

Stock made a substitute for the start of the second half with Shamir Mullings replacing Thomson.

Wrexham started the second half the stronger of the two sides. A corner was played in towards Bycroft’s near post. A scramble in the area saw the ball fall to Luke Young on the edge of the area. The midfielder caught the shot on the volley but the ball cleared the bar.

Weymouth had a call for a penalty when Brooks brought the ball into the area on the left wing, and was bundled over. Referee Jacob Miles saw nothing wrong with the challenge awarding a goal kick.

Josh McQuoid was shown a yellow in the seventieth minute. The first booking of the game.

The Terras were looking to keep the win by playing a defensive game in the second half and conceded a goal in seventy third minute. Theo Vassell heading in from a corner.

It was a case of deja vu for the Terras as a lapse in concentration led to an equaliser a minute later, as was the case against Dagenham last weekend. Vassell bagged his brace when he struck the ball with his left foot across the goal.

Goal scorer McQuoid was substituted for Cody Cooke.
It was backs to the wall for the Terras in the final ten minutes. Wrexham were close to a winner

The Terras had another penalty claim when Mullings shot was blocked by a Wrexham defender. The resulting block gave possession to Al-Hussaini who’s effort was put wide for a corner. Substitute Cooke poked the ball narrowly wide.

Mullings was shown a straight red card for an off the ball incident with Young. The referee had to consult his linesman before sending the striker off.
The Terras had another penalty call when Cooke’s shot was palmed away by the Wrexham defender in the area.

Wrexham ran down the other end and scored the winner in the ninety fifth minute. Reece Hall-Johnson’s right footed cross caught Bycroft out and it floated beyond the goalkeeper.

Tempers were heated after the final whistle and Stock was shown a red card. Weymouth lost 3-2.

Terras: Bycroft, Jordan, Ngalo, McCarthy, Thomson (Mullings 46), McQuoid (Cooke 83), Leslie-Smith (Anderson 23), Brooks, Al-Hussaini, Harfield, Shields.

Subs not used: Benfield, Hoey.

Wrexham: Lainton, Hall-Johnson, Reckord (Davies 46), Vassell, Pearson, Harris, Durrell (Jarvis 69), Young, Ponticelli, Kelleher, Thomas (Yussuf 69).

Subs not used: Dibble, Horsfield.

Referee: Jacob Miles

Similar Posts