Terras fall to defeat against Glovers



Neufville 15, Skendi 19, Quigley 88 pen

Report: Alfie Lumb

A dominant Yeovil side beat the Terras 3-0 in the National League on Tuesday evening. This was the Terras first competitive match versus their local rivals in over 20 years.

Brian Stock has called on the services of goalkeeper Ethan Ross. The goalkeeper, on loan from Lincoln City was brought in to replace Jack Bycroft, who’s loan from Southampton had concluded.

It was the visitors who had the better start to the game. Yeovil had put the ball in the back of the net within the second minute. Lawson D’ath’s ball from the left of the box was met by Reuban Reid. Fortunately for the Terras the new signing was adjudged to have fouled a Weymouth defender before heading it into the net.

Two minutes later, the Glovers had another chance. Joe Quigley had turned and got past Calvin Brooks. The winger unleashed a low shot, but forced a comfortable save for Ethan Ross.

The visitors early pressure had paid dividends. They scored in the 15th minute. Josh Neufville had space to run through the Terras defence. The midfielder fired a shot with his left boot to Ross’ near post. The effort caught the new signing off guard and despite his efforts, the glovers went ahead.

They doubled their lead four minutes later from an almost identical goal. A set piece was lofted towards Reid. The debutant cushioned the ball down to Albi Skendi. The midfielder volleyed the ball home from just outside the box, past Ross at his near post on the left.

Reid almost scored himself in the 27th minute. The striker was the only player aware of a dangerous cross inside the Terras area but could not direct his acrobatic shot goal bound, instead going over the bar.

Yeovil were dominating all the attacking play. They had played the ball into Reid, the striker had gone beyond Ross and looked certain to score before Camp stepped in to put in a last ditch tackle.

Neufville was through on goal following a quick glover counter attack. The first goalscorer was denied a second by Ross.

Yeovil started the second half in the same way that they dominated the first. Neufville had a chance in the 48th minute. The player shot across the goal, with Ross doing well to parry the ball away.

The Terras first real chance of the second half came when Cody Cooke played the ball out wide to Calvin Brooks. The right back chipped a ball into the back post to Josh McQuoid. The Terras Captain could only head the ball wide.

Emmanuel Sonupe had the next chance on goal in the 68th minute for Yeovil. The striker snatched at a shot across goal, luckily for the Terras it flashed wide.

Neufville was at the centre of everything for the Glovers. The winger dispossessed Jordan Ngalo after the Terras midfielder tried to play the ball out from the back. The players attempt went over the crossbar.

Things went from bad to worse for the Terras. A long ball was played forward from Yeovil in the 87th minute. The striker was pushed by Jake McCarthy and the Terras’ number 8 was shown a straight red card. Joe Quigley stepped up to take the penalty and dispatched it well, sending Ross the wrong way smashing it to the goalkeepers left.

This brought an end to proceedings. The final score, Weymouth 0-3 Yeovil Town.

Terras: Ross, Camp, Wakefield, Ngalo, McCarthy, McQuoid, Brooks, Cooke, Murray (Santos 81), Harfield, Shields.

Subs not used: Benfield, Dickson, Robinson, Hoey.

Yeovil: Smith, Dickinson, Wilkinson, Worthington, D’Ath, Skendi (Sonupe 65), Quigley, Neufville (Knowles 83), Hunt, Bradley, Reid (Dagnall 78).

Subs not used: Warburton, Palmer.

Referee: Sunny Gill

Similar Posts