Terras knocked out by Quakers



Hatfield 45

Report: Alfie Lumb

Weymouth are out of the FA Trophy, losing to Darlington FC 1-0 at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Saturday.

Three changes were made from the last Terras side that fell to a 3-0 defeat to Yeovil. Gerard Benfield replaces Ethan Ross in goal, and Jacob Mensah and Dominic Revan are in for Jake McCarthy and Brennan Camp.

The opening 15 minutes of the match were a tight affair with no side having a real effort on the goal. Erico Sousa looked the most threatening for the Quakers. The Portuguese born midfielder played a dangerous cross into the Weymouth area, however no member of the Darlington side could connect with the ball in.

Jordan Ngalo had the first shot of the day, however the ball blazed over the crossbar.

Jacob Mensah was Instrumental in keeping the game even in the 22nd minute. A deep cross was palmed back into danger by Gerard Benfield. The keeper was under pressure and on the floor when Dan Maguire looked certain to score, the striker finding himself with an open goal. Just as he unleashes the shot, the Ghanian centre back put his body on the line to deny the number 9.

Weymouth were growing stronger. A lax ball was intercepted by Josh McQuoid and headed into the path of Sean Shields. The tricky winger found space on his stronger right foot but his effort was curved just wide of Jonathon Saltmer’s left post.

A minute later, in the 27th minute, Darlington hit the bar. Alex Storey headed the ball onto the bar following a number of headers to keep the ball in play. The ball looked as though it were sailing over, before bouncing atop Benfield’s bar.

Darlington took the lead in the 45th minute. Will Hatfield pressed on from midfield, and fired a shot with his right boot as soon as the captain had got himself into the area. The effort had beaten Gerard Benfield at his left post.

Weymouth nearly conceded a second in the 53rd minute. Benfield’s heavy pass to Jacob Mensah forced the debutant to pick out Darlington’s Jarrett Rivers with a pass. The winger drove towards goal and his shot, straight at Benfield, was saved by the young goalkeepers feet. Dan Maguire was there to meet the looping ball, and looked almost certain to head into an open net. However, Revan hoofed the ball off the line despite opposition players claiming the ball went in to keep the game at 1-0.

Darlington had another chance to put themselves two ahead again in the 69th minute. A cross played in was cushioned down to Hatfield by Maguire. The captains shot was well over Benfield’s bar.

Weymouth’s last throw of the dice was their closest effort. Ollie Hartfield whipped a ball into the box from a set piece. Mensah met the ball in the air to keep the chance alive, turning it to the path of substitute Ben Thomson. The striker, under pressure, could not direct any power or placement on the ball, resulting in a break up of play.

Five minutes of added time was not enough for the Terras to get a response, as Darlington progressed through to the next round.

Terras: Benfield, Wakefield (Robinson 58), Ngalo, McQuoid, Brooks, Cooke (Thomson 51), Mensah, Murray (Dickson 65), Revan, Harfield, Shields. Subs not used: Ross, Olumuyiwa, Santos, Hoey.

Darlington: Saltmer, Watson, Wheatley, Hunt, Hatfield, Maguire (O’Neil 84), Rivers, Storey, Sousa (Campbell 76), Charman (Holness 81), McMahon. Subs not used: Hedley.

Referee: Robert Whitton

Similar Posts