Report: Ted Slocombe

Weymouth’s first away trip of the league campaign ends with a narrow 1-0 defeat to Grimsby Town at Blundell Park.

Grimsby’s John McAtee was the man that eventually separated the two sides deep into the second half as The Terras fell to their second defeat of the season.

The game began in fairly lively fashion with both sides having chances in the opening phases, through various crosses into the box leading to nothing. Fitzsimons was called into action at 10 minutes when Grimsby Town won a free-kick just outside the box. McAtee shot from the free-kick which travelled under The Terras wall towards the bottom right corner which was saved well by Fitzsimons. There were shouts for a penalty after 12 minutes following a goalmouth scramble but claims were waved away by the referee Matthew Diccio.

The majority of the first half was dominated by Grimsby but The Terras defence held firm. Notably, Ben Morgan made a terrific tackle to keep out McAtee after 25 minutes as Grimsby continued to threaten with The Terras looking to pounce on any opportunities on the counter by soaking up the pressure. Grimsby had a good chance to take advantage of the game as John McAtee played a dangerous ball through The Terras’ defensive line leaving Erico Sousa one on one against Fitzsimons but the save was made.

Weymouth had a decent chance towards the end of the first half as they attacked down the wings looking for an opener. Ollie Harfield found Brandon Goodship in space in the box but his shot was deflected away. Grimsby almost certainly should have been 1-0 up as Ryan Taylor headed towards goal from 3 yards but Fitzsimons was able to catch with fair ease as the half drew to a close.

The second half began with a dangerous free-kick for Grimsby Town just minutes in. Another goalmouth scramble took place with the ball going inches to crossing the line for The Mariners but Diccio waved play on. On 56 minutes, the halftime substitute Lenell John-Lewis had an attempt on goal but Fitzsimons made a smart save with his foot, with the subsequent cross ending up out of danger for a goal kick.

Midway through the second half, there was a much-improved display from The Terras as they began to start asking questions of the Grimsby defence. The Terras had a corner on 65 minutes. Sean Shields took the corner which was cleared at the front post, before McQuoid whipped another ball into the box which found Sean Shields who’s shot was deflected off the line. The following 5 minutes saw Brandon Goodship and Sean Shields having a couple of efforts between them, although The Terras weren’t able to capitalise on any of the chances. However, Grimsby’s pressure throughout the game eventually paid off with John McAtee’s shot wrong-footing Fitzsimons in goal and nestling in the back of The Terras’ net on 74 minutes.

Once Grimsby got the opening goal in the game, The Mariners were able to cruise towards the final whistle with the vast majority of the final chances of the game being created by themselves. Weymouth did have one final chance to claim a point, in added time, as substitute Omar Mussa’s free-kick was deflected off of the Grimsby wall, with several players trying to strike on goal. This resulted in claims for penalties and other fouls but the ball eventually went behind for a goal kick to Grimsby. As the game drew to a close, Grimsby had a late corner but it led to no avail as the referee blew time on the game.

Overall, despite the defeat, a much-improved performance by The Terras compared to the previous weekend, creating chances and defending well, which should give them a confidence boost heading into The Terras’ Bank Holiday fixture against Maidenhead on Monday at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

You can listen to manager Brian Stock’s post-match thoughts by clicking here.

Match Facts

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Efete, Longe-King, Pearson, Crookes, Fox, Hunt (Wright 69’), Clifton, Sousa (Waterfall 90’), McAtee, Taylor (John-Lewis 46’).

Subs not used: Bapaga, Revan

Terras: Fitzsimons, Morgan, Cordner, Goodship, McQuoid (Mussa 77’), Bearwish, Robinson, Brooks (Leslie-Smith 81’), Harfield, Rose (Ash 58’), Shields.

Subs not used: Murray, Olomowewe

Referee: Matthew Diccio

Attendance: 5,034 (76 away)

Similar Posts