Weymouth played out a 1-1 draw with Wealdstone at the Bob Lucas on Saturday afternoon.


Brian Stock named 5 changes from Tuesday nights dramatic defeat to Yeovil on penalties in the FA Cup. Mussa, Ash, Bearwish, Brooks and Olomowewe made way for McQuoid, Murray, Robinson, Leslie-Smith and Goodship.


The Terras notched the first shot of the game in the 7th minute. A long throw from Ross Fitzsimons found its way to Shields, who travelled into the the final third of the pitch before playing the ball to the overlapping Ollie Harfield on the left. The defender drilled in a low cross toward the centre of the area which allowed Andy Robinson to take on a first time strike with his left foot, however, the chance was straight into the gloves of George Wickens.


Brandon Goodship was played in behind the defenders from a fantastic long pass from centre back Josef Yarney. Weymouth’s number 7 was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, although Wickens got down quickly, pushing Goodship away from goal with the chance lost.


Wealdstone had their first chance of the game in the 20th minute after working the ball around the Weymouth box well. A direct pass to Charlie Cooper gave the midfielder the opportunity to lay the ball off to Nik Tavares to try a curl effort on goal. Fitzsimons did well to react to the shot, beating it away from goal with his right glove.


Five minutes later the stones were in again when Jay Bird threaded the ball through to Tavares out wide on the right. The winger took on the shot when entering the area with the ball flashing across the face of goal and going out for a goal kick.


The Terras took the lead 5 minutes before half time. Sean Shields played in a driven cross from the far side which was parried away by Wickens, but straight into the path of Goodship. The Terras striker took the shot on from yards out but the chance was cleared on the line by a stones defender, yet only as far as Ben Thomson who made no mistake firing the effort into the top left corner.


Wealdstone came close to drawing level straight after half time. Jay Bird received the ball in Weymouth’s penalty area but dragged his shot across the goal, with the ball going inches wide of Fitzgerald’s right post.


Bird had another chance 10 minutes later, when he took on a shot from the edge of the area. The striker turned and unleashed a low driven shot but again, Fitzgerald got down well to parry the chance away for a corner.


The constant pressure from the visitors paid dividends in the 62nd minute when the stones found an equaliser. An in swinging set piece from Cooper was curled into a crowded area and poked in on the volley by Connor McAvoy, beyond the outstretched gloves of Fitzsimons.


Ira Jackson was looking lively for the stones after coming off the bench and nearly found the winner in the 76th minute. Tavares played a ball across to the substitute, after spotting his overlapping run, but Jackson’s shot from the far edge of the area was again, straight at the goalkeeper.


Six minutes of added time were not enough for either side to find a winner as the points were shared.

Similar Posts