A hard fought game saw the Terras hold Grimsby to a 0-0 draw at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Saturday.

Weymouth had started the fresher of the 2 sides and won a corner within 2 minutes. Sean Shields whipped in the set piece to the back post which was met by the head of Bradley Ash, however the striker could only guide the ball wide of Max Crocombes goal.

The Terras were looking confident in attack. Tyler Cordner intercepted the ball in his own half, before darting up the field and taking a shot from range. The central defender dragged his shot, with the chance not testing the Grimsby goalkeeper.

The visitors had the first shot on target in the 9th minute following a set piece. The ball was hooked into a busy penalty area and headed downward by Luke Waterfall, but straight into the gloves of Ross Fitzsimons.

Grimsby were becoming more present in the game and had a golden opportunity to break the deadlock. A switch of play found its way to John McAtee on the far side. The number 10 cut in and slid the ball into the path of Gavin Holohan in the area. Instead of electing to shoot, the midfielder picked out Jordan Maguire-Drew who shot across goal at the first time of asking. Fitzsimons was aware to the danger and rushed off his line well to make a last minute save with his trailing legs.

Then in the 26th minute, another chance for Grimsby, this time from a long throw in. The ball was sent deep into the area and headed back to McAtee, whose deflected shot was directed straight into Fitzsimons welcoming gloves.

Just 2 minutes later, the team had a gilt-edged chance to take the lead. McAtee did well to work the ball out to the far byline before cutting the ball across the face of goal. Harry Clifton came to meet the ball in the middle with a shot but Haji Mnoga put himself in the way to put off the Grimsby midfielder, with the ball going out for a goal kick.

McAtee was involved in the next chance to come for the away side. This time, the midfielder attempted to acrobatically guide the ball in from a bicycle kick, but the effort went over the bar.

On the cusp of half-time, the Terras had a free kick on the edge of the area after Matt Buse was fouled. Left back Ben Greenwood stood over the ball and his curling free kick with his left foot left Crocombe rooted to the spot, but the ball smacked off the left post.

Weymouth were straight out of the blocks in the second half and notched a shot on target within the opening moments. Buse latched onto a wayward pass and was through on goal. The midfielder took on an early shot but it was no trouble for Crocombe.

The game was end-to-end and Grimsby had the next chance. Danny Amos played the ball to McAtee who relayed it to Clifton. The midfielder tried to fire a strike across the face of goal but Mnoga put in another crucial block.

Weymouth had the next attempt in the 60th minute. Bradley Ash picked up the ball in midfield before dribbling closer to the goal and unleashing a shot. The shot was low and not powerful enough to challenge Crocombe, who had time to make the save.

With the game level still at 68 minutes, Grimsby were pushing for a goal, however Weymouth were managing to clear the chances. Clifton had the next opportunity for the visitors when the midfielder powered through the Terras defence on the far side before striking just inside the area towards the near post. Fitzsimons did well to produce another save.

The away side were knocking on the door and had 2 clear cut chances to score in the 75th minute. Maguire-Drew took the ball on in midfield before unleashing a curled strike from range. Fitzsimons acrobatically palmed the chance over the bar with his higher arm.

Grimsby had a chance from the resulting corner, taken by Maguire-Drew. The ball came out to the back post where Andy Smith was free. Smith took the ball down and fizzed an effort toward goal but Mnoga was well positioned to clear the ball off the line.

With 3 minutes of the game to go, Weymouth were pushing for the winner. A breakaway saw substitute Ben Thomson float the ball to the back post to a free Brandon Goodship. The striker headed the ball straight into the gloves of Crocombe.

Six minutes of added time were not enough for either side as the game finished, with both sides sharing the spoils.

Similar Posts