Terras suffer Braintree loss

Baris Altintop’s second-half strike ensured that Braintree Town extended their unbeaten streak at our expense today at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Iron’s skipper headed past Harvey Wiles-Richards, following substitute Reggie Lambe’s delivery, 14 minutes before full-time.

This proved to be the game’s only goal, in a match devoid of many clear-cut chances for either side.

Our most notable opportunity came just after kick-off, when Joel Rollinson forced Jack Sims to make a save at his near-post.

While we put together nice passages of play following the early opportunity, we were unable to continue our usual attacking threat with any goals.

The visitors’ victory is a continuation of their excellent form, having not lost a league match since New Year’s Day.

We, on the other hand, have ended our three-game unbeaten streak with a loss, despite remaining 15th in the National League South Table.

Bobby Wilkinson made one change following our 2-0 win away at Aveley, introducing Dan Roberts for Malachi Linton.

The gaffer said before today that we would be going into this game as the “underdogs.”

But, despite that, the first chance came our way.

It took just 10 seconds for us to pose a threat, when Rollinson was played through.

The winger fired towards Sims, who was forced to push away at the near-post with both hands.

Aaron Blair then had a go at goal for the visitors two minutes later, after cutting in from the right-hand side.

Thankfully, the forward did little to trouble Wiles-Richards, striking straight down the middle.

Our keeper, however, would have to make a more impressive stop just nine minutes on.

Tom Blackwell took a corner-kick for the visitors, finding Joe Grimwood at the near-post.

Grimwood then headed towards goal, and may have given his side the lead had it not been met with a point-blank save.

The early sights at goal suggested that we were at the start of an entertaining game.

However, following Wiles-Richards’ save, the excitement began to peter out, the next notable action being a Brandon Goodship yellow card after 24 minutes.

Blackwell would try his luck two minutes on, firing well wide.

Frustrations then appeared to get the better of The Iron, who received two bookings in as many minutes.

Alfie Payne was the first player cautioned for clipping Goodship, before Altintop was brandished a yellow card for barging Roberts.

The game continued to lack in opportunities for either side, as the players headed down the tunnel goalless.

The second half began as the first ended, with a Charlie Rowan booking being the first notable action seven minutes in.

The subsequent free-kick would allow Blackwell to swing in a delivery, which could only be headed away to the feet of Dominic Odusanya.

Odusanya then struck at the first opportunity, before Hamblin bravely got in the way.

Wiles-Richards would hold firm once again after 67 minutes, punching behind for a corner following Reggie Lambe’s cross.

Though neither side was particularly threatening, the visitors had the lion’s share of the few second-half chances.

Their next opportunity would prove too dangerous for us to keep out this time.

With just 14 minutes of regular time to go, Lambe swung in another dangerous cross, meeting the head of Altintop, who squeezed the ball past Wiles-Richards to give his side a precious 1-0 lead.

Wilkinson immediately reacted by bringing on tricky winger Keelan O’Connell in place of Roberts.

But, despite the change, we were unable to start producing a great deal of attacking danger.

O’Connell was able to cut in from the left in stoppage time, though his strike was fired straight at Sims.

With no more chances for either side in the final minutes, we ended up narrowly losing to a well-oiled Angelo Harrop machine.

Match report
by Jack Webb

Similar Posts