Hampton & Richmond Borough vs Weymouth



Calvin Brooks hits double as Weymouth stun Beavers


Inman 17, Muir 27


Williams 47, Brooks 65, 74

CALVIN Brooks claimed a predatory double as Weymouth overturned a 2-0 half-time deficit to take a sensational 3-2 comeback victory at Hampton & Richmond in the Vanarama National League South.

Yemi Odubade missed a third-minute penalty and Brett Williams hit the post as Weymouth began with venom until Hampton’s Dean Inman and Niko Muir both netted in the space of 10 minutes.

What followed was a classic fightback as Williams’ long-range goal sparked a stirring revival, Brooks twice pouncing with clinical finishes to give Weymouth a memorable win.

Weymouth boss Mark Molesley made two changes to the starting XI that drew 2-2 at home to Eastbourne on Saturday.

Defender Stephane Zubar came in alongside striker Brett Williams at the expense of Jordan Ngalo and Josh Wakefield – the latter on Friday penning a new contract with the Terras.

Molesley also recalled club captain Ashley Wells, while there was a place in the matchday squad for youngster Harry Burns, the duo joining goalkeeper Mark Childs, Ade Olumuyiwa and Wakefield on the bench.

In the opposite dugout, Hampton & Richmond manager Gary McCann made four changes to the starting XI that began Tuesday night’s 1-1 draw with Welling.

Captain Charlie Wassamer, Wadah Ahmidi, Tyrell Miller-Rodney and Shaun McAuley all returned, replacing Luke Ruddick, Ruaridh Donaldson, Danilo Orsi-Dadomo and Sam Deadfield – all of whom lined up on the bench.

Jamie Hope was the Beavers’ other substitute.

Weymouth, kicking against the wind of Storm Dennis in the first half, made a superb start and were rewarded when the Terras won a third-minute penalty.

Hauntingly, however, Weymouth again saw a spot-kick saved as Odubade’s shot was pushed away by Dion-Curtis Henry to Jake McCarthy, who netted after Odubade was flagged offside.

Abdulai Baggie was then released on the wing after excellent work by Ben Thomson but the winger was adjudged offside and saw his finish chalked off.

Weymouth were dominant in the early stages and another brisk move set up Williams who fired against Henry’s upright.

Molesley’s men were made to pay for wasted chances as a clever short corner routine unhinged their defence in the 17th minute.

Jake Gray swung in the delivery and centre-back Inman was there to nod past keeper Calum Ward having blazed over a chance minutes earlier.

The billowing wind created treacherous conditions for the goalkeepers and Ward was almost caught out as a booming clearance from Henry sailed over his head and bounced over the bar.

Hampton seized upon the Terras’ defensive struggles with the wind to double their advantage in the 27th minute, Muir controlling and rifling past Ward from the edge of the area.

Hampton grew in confidence after the second goal and, with the wind buffeting around the Beveree Stadium, Ward clattered a clearance against Zubar to concede a corner, which came to nothing before half-time.

Having conceded twice against the wind, Weymouth now had the elements at their backs and made a deadly start to the second half as Williams fizzed a long-range effort into the bottom corner in the 47th minute.

Williams’ 10th strike of the season prompted sustained spells of Weymouth pressure as Hampton’s defence panicked amid the swirling wind.

McCarthy then fired a snapshot at Henry to earn a corner. The impressive Tom Whelan curled in his delivery and Brooks stooped low to head into the ground, finding the roof of the net for his first goal of the campaign.

Weymouth had restored parity with 25 minutes remaining, but a hectic passage of play led to the completion of their epic fightback.

Henry tipped McCarthy’s rasping drive onto the bar and Hampton cleared for another corner, hastily taken by Whelan whose ball in caused havoc.

After several ricochets, Brooks swept home at the back post to score his second goal in nine minutes and stun the home crowd.

Weymouth were jubilant, but Ward had to be watchful as Muir worked the keeper before sub Deadfield hoisted a fierce effort over in the 90th minute.

Clever game management – Weymouth keeping the ball in the opposition corners – then helped seal a truly remarkable three points as the Terras cemented fourth spot, gaining points on Havant and Slough, who drew 1-1.

Hampton & Richmond: Curtis-Henry, Cox, Farrell, Inman, Wassimer, Gray, Hill, Ahmidi, Miller-Rodney, Muir, McAuley.

Subs: Ruddick, Donaldson, Orsi-Dadomo, Deadfield, Hope.

Terras: Ward, Harfield, Zubar, McCarthy, Thomson, Baggie, Odubade (Wells 86), Whelan, Brooks, Williams, Hobson.

Subs not used: Childs, Wakefield, Olumuyiwa, Burns.

Attendance: 458

Dorset Echo


Date Time League Season Attendance
15th February 2020 3:00 pm National League South 2019/20 458


Beveree Stadium
13 High St, Hampton TW12 2NN, UK


Hampton & Richmond Borough2Loss


13Calum WARD Goalkeeper
3Ollie HARFIELD Defence 65'
5Stephane ZUBAR Defence
8Jake McCARTHY Midfield 47'
9Ben THOMSON Forward
11Abdulai BAGGIE Midfield
14Yemi ODUBADE 2 Midfield
16Tom WHELAN Midfield
17Calvin BROOKS Defence 65', 74'
18Brett WILLIAMS Forward 47'
20Shaun HOBSON Defence 74'
2Ashley WELLS 14 Defence
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

KO 47 47 65 65 74 74 86 FT