Hendon vs Weymouth



Weymouth victorious as Molesley hits 100


Harriott 22, Obi 89


Ngalo 67, Goodship 74, McCarthy 80

TWO stunning goals saw Weymouth come back from a 1-0 half-time deficit to beat Hendon 3-2 in Mark Molesley’s 100th competitive match in charge in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier South.

Jordan Ngalo fired in from 35 yards, while Jake McCarthy rifled in from 30 yards either side of a Brandon Goodship strike from the edge of the area, as the Terras claimed a vital three points.

Hendon had initially taken the lead, through Matty Harriott, but the three strikes from Weymouth completed a second half turnaround, with Ogo Obi narrowing the score late on for the home side.

There were no changes to the Terras side that won 2-1 at home to Merthyr at the weekend, with the one difference being on the bench, which saw the addition of Josh Wakefield.

The first chance of the match fell to Hendon’s Ryan Hope, who volleyed wide from 10 yards out after two minutes.

Weymouth tried to respond, but a good move forward saw Ben Thomson flagged offside with four minutes on the clock.

Goodship then found Abdulai Baggie who was out wide and crossed in aiming for Thomson, only to see his delivery evade the Weymouth forward.

Hendon goalkeeper Andrew McCorkell was quick off his line to smother the ball at the feet of Goodship, after good work from Thomson to out-muscle his marker.

Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick then went on a fantastic, 50-yard mazy run which Stephane Zubar dealt with, but conceded a corner which was well-defended by Weymouth.

After 19 minutes, Weymouth went close through a corner which Callum Buckley whipped in only for Zubar to nod wide.

Yemi Odubade then created a wonderful chance with a great through ball to Goodship, who fired over the bar.

Yet it would be the home side who took the lead after 22 minutes.

A corner was swung in and eventually fell to Harriott on the edge of the box, who smashed in past Weymouth goalkeeper Tom McHale.

Harriott rifled wide from 25 yards out as Hendon looked to double their advantage soon after.

Midfielder Harriott then produced a snap-shot which forced McHale into a brilliant save to parry the ball away to danger.

Lee Chappell performed a well-timed tackle to stop a Cameron Murray pass reaching Calvin Brooks, who had pushed ahead and soon after McCarthy shot wide from a corner as the Terras pressed for an equaliser.

Hendon were doing well and not following their poor form book of three league wins in four months.

The Terras pressed but could not find a goal before half-time.

Much like in the first half, Hendon had the first chance when Lewis Toomey volleyed an effort towards the Weymouth goal and McHale saved.

Five minutes later, the home side crafted another chance when the effective Hippolyte-Patrick crossed for Hope, who blazed over.

There were attempts to stir Weymouth, with Ngalo replacing Buckley at half-time, before Wakefield replaced Murray after 56 minutes.

Just past the hour, Weymouth almost found the chance they were looking for.

Goodship played a ball over the top to Brooks, who was able to chest the ball down but the Hendon defence were quick to get back and clear their lines.

However, when the equaliser did come it was a moment of magic.

Ngalo, in a similar fashion to his last-minute Dorset Senior Cup derby equaliser, thundered a fantastic shot into the top corner from 35 yards to draw Weymouth level after 67 minutes.

Wakefield continued the pressure, placing a free-kick towards Brooks who saw his effort saved by McCorkell, but the Terras were ahead on 74 minutes.

Brilliant work from Baggie down the left-hand side put the ball on a plate for Goodship on the edge of the box, who lashed in past McCorkell for his 28th league goal of the season.

In a thrilling finish, Hendon almost equalised themselves but Hope was denied from close range by McHale.

Weymouth managed to extend their lead and wrap up the contest with another stunning effort.

This time McCarthy was behind it as he blasted a brilliant 30-yard shot into the top corner on 80 minutes.

Ogo Obi would narrow the scores in the 89th minute, but Weymouth held on for victory.

Weymouth visit struggling Frome Town on Saturday (3pm).

Hendon: McCorkell, Gardiner-Smith, Chappell, Manesio, Jonas, Brown, Hope, Harriott, Toomey (Obi 65), Hippolyte-Patrick, Smith (Calcutt 85).

Subs not used: Hall, McGleish, Boness.

Terras: McHale, Brooks, Buckley (Ngalo 46), Zubar, Sherring, McCarthy, Odubade (Wells 87), Murray (Wakefield 56), Thomson, Goodship, Baggie

Subs not used: Childs, Carmichael.

Attendance: 251


Date Time League Season
26th February 2019 7:45 pm Southern League Premier 2018/19


Silver Jubilee Park
Townsend Lane, Kingsbury Road, London Borough of Brent, London, Greater London, England, NW9 8AQ, United Kingdom



KO 45 56 87 FT