Weymouth vs Tiverton Town



Thomson’s tenth helps Terras topple Tivvy


Thomson 45+2′, Wakefield 63′


Price 80′

The Terras returned to winning ways with a 2-1 victory over Tiverton Town at the Bob Lucas Stadium in the Evo-Stik South Premier South.

The three points were made even more valuable by league leaders Taunton Town dropping two points at home to Dorchester Town.

Ben Thomson opened the scoring shortly before half-time when his header looped over the Tiverton goalkeeper and in doing so took his tally to ten for the season. Just after the hour mark, Josh Wakefield fired in an effort from the edge of the box to double the Terras lead before Jamie Price scored a late consultation goal for Tiverton Town.

Weymouth made three changes to the side which drew with Poole Town on New Year’s Day. Jordan Ngalo and Yemi Odubade returned to the starting eleven, Ashley Wells started at right-back as Jake McCarthy dropped back alongside him in to the back four. Tiago Sa and Abdulai Baggie dropped to the bench, whilst Brandon Goodship missed out altogether through an ankle injury.

Robbie Yates was named as back-up goalkeeper as Jack Martin was on international duty with the England Schoolboys.

Barely three minutes into the game and Tiverton Town were forced into making their first change of the game, Tom Gardner sustained a suspected broken wrist after colliding during a challenge.

It took Weymouth 13 minutes to create their first chance of the match, when a Wakefield free-kick fell to Sherring, the AFC Bournemouth loanee’s chance was blocked for a corner.

Three minutes later, Calvin Brooks did well to shrug off his marker and set up Wakefield, but some resolute defending blocked Wakefield’s shot and prevented him from opening the scoring.

Josh Carmichael then showed some flare when he nutmegged an onrushing Tiverton defender but his curling shot was stopped easily by Liam Armstrong.

Armstrong frustrated the Terras again when Brooks squared to Wakefield who tried to bend an effort into the top corner, but Armstrong was there to push the ball from danger.

Former Terras, Steve Colwell and Stewart Yetton combined with a clever free-kick just after the half-hour mark. Colwell slipped Yetton in quickly, but Terras’ captain, Jake McCarthy was there to block Yetton’s effort.

Sherring then had another chance to open his account for Weymouth when Wakefield found him from a corner, however Sherring put his strike narrowly over the bar.

Tiverton then won themselves a free-kick just outside the area, when a high foot earned Sherring a cautioned. Levi Landricombe fired his set-piece straight into the wall and then again with the follow-up.

Yemi Odubade then came close to opening the scoring shortly before half-time, Wells and Brooks combined well down the right wing before playing in Odubade, the Nigerian wide-man then spun his marker before prodding the ball towards the bottom corner, only a superb save from Armstrong could prevent the Terras from going one up.

But they didn’t have to wait long to score their first of the match, two minutes into added time Wakefield’s corner was only half-cleared to Ngalo who then found Thomson at the back post, and Thomson did well to loop his header over the Tiverton defence and goalkeeper.

In the second-half, despite controlling the possession, it took the Terras until the 58th minute to create their first clear chance. Carmichael skipped through the Tiverton defence before combining well with Thomson, Carmichael’s shot from distance forced Armstrong into making a good low save.

Josh Wakefield then doubled Weymouth lead shortly after an hour was played, he pounced on a scramble in the box to rifle the ball into the goal from the edge of the penalty area.

Five minutes later and Buckley found himself in a good position to score, the ball dropped to the left-back only yards from goal, but a firm challenge from Mammola prevented Buckley from getting his chance away.

Moments later Buckley had another chance to score his first Weymouth goal, but this time he narrowly fired over from distance.

Jamie Price set up a nervy finish when he scored ten minutes from time. Lloyd Thomas collided with Michael Landricombe, which set the ball to fall free to Price who lifted his shot over the Weymouth defenders on the line and into the back of the net.

Weymouth are on their travels next Saturday when they face Ramsbottom United in the second round of the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Weymouth: Thomas, Wells, Buckley, Ngalo, Sherring, McCarthy, Wakefield, Carmichael, Thomson, Odubade (Baggie 73′), Brooks.

Subs: Sa, Baker, Molesley, Yates.

Tiverton: Armstrong, Furness, Hall, Price, Mammola, Gardner (Rogers 6′), Smallcombe, Colwell, Yetton, L.Landricombe, M.Landricombe.

Subs: Bath, Tasker.

Attendance: 769


Date Time League Season
5th January 2019 3:00 pm Southern League Premier 2018/19


Bob Lucas Stadium
Wessex Stadium, Radipole Lane, Weymouth DT4 9XJ, United Kingdom


Tiverton Town1Loss

KO 73 FT