Starting Line-Up
McConnell (Skinner 78)
Clay (Duff 63)
Unused subs
Evo-Stik League
Southern Premier
Bob Lucas Stadium
Kick Off
Reed 29
Smith 55p
Frome Town
Jeffries 69
Frome Town
Sent Off
Frome Town
Mr G Parsons
Frome Town
Starting Line-Up
Evans (Reaney 82)
Hobbs (Hulbert 37)
Gilroy (Matthews 78)
Unused subs

Terras hang on to deny Robins

THE Terras must start killing teams off if they are to stand any chance of sustaining their push for the play-offs.

That was the thoughts of Weymouth boss Brendon King following tonight’s 2-1 home victory over Frome Town – a result that has lifted his side up to seventh in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division, just two points adrift of the top five.

A sublime strike from Stephen Reed and a penalty from Dan Smith put the Terras in full control against the Robins but they failed to put the game to bed and nearly paid the price after Darren Jefferies had cut the deficit back down to one.

King told Echosport: “We made hard work of it again and it is beginning to get a bit frustrating.

“We were 2-0 up and cruising but then we gave them half a chance and suddenly we were hanging on, which should not have happened.

“We have got to be more clinical than that and make sure we see teams off.

“The same thing happened against Bedworth last Saturday and I know we have got better players than that.

“We just need to deal with those situations a lot better by keeping hold of possession and seeing games out otherwise at some point it is going to cost us.

“Having said that sometimes you have to win ugly and the fact that is now two wins on the trot at a key stage of the season is very pleasing indeed.

“I am especially happy for a few people behind the scenes because I know just how much this particular victory means to them. I also thought Stephen Reed, Dan Smith and Kyle Critchell were all fantastic.”

King made one change to the side that started against Bedworth with Critchell coming in for Craig Duff, who dropped to the bench.

Having lost just one of their last six at home the Terras had their eyes firmly set on maximum points ahead of kick-off but Frome clearly fancied their chances as well.

Unbeaten in three and having not conceded in their last 343 minutes of competitive action, the Robins were always going to make life difficult and they enjoyed the better start.

Jefferies tested Simon Evans early on and it was the same player that swung in a dangerous free-kick from the left on 14 minutes, which ricocheted off a couple of bodies before eventually falling just wide.

The Terras were finding it hard to get into any sort of rhythm but on 29 minutes a moment of inspiration from Reed finally gave them a foothold in the game.

Dan Smith knocked the ball out to the left and the 27-year-old playmaker placed his shot beyond Darren Chitty with an exquisite finish from 25 yards.

Suddenly Frome’s good start had completely diminished and it was all Weymouth with Dan Smith forcing Chitty into a save and Critchell seeing a header fly over the crossbar.

The same pattern continued at the start of the second period although Matt Smith did force Evans into one good save low down to his left following a drive from long range.

Weymouth kept plugging away and on 54 minutes they got their reward when a slip by Josh Brigham ended with him accidentally tripping Mark Ford in the box.

It was an unfortunate incident but referee Gary Parsons had no other choice but to point to the spot where Dan Smith sent Chitty the wrong way a minute later.

To their credit Frome immediately responded with Rob Hobbs glancing a header just wide from another fine cross from Jefferies but Weymouth were still in full control.

In fact, only a fine goal-line clearance from Tom Evans stopped Dan Smith’s cross-cum-shot from registering a third moments later, before Mike Perrott squandered an opening at the other end after another fine pass from the impressive Jefferies.

The Frome left winger was proving a constant menace and on 69 minutes he pulled one back with a simple finish following substitute Ricky Hulbert’s crafty dink over the top.

Dave Gilroy then blasted an effort over the crossbar for the visitors before Dave Thompson beat Evans to a free-kick, only to see his header loop off target.

In the end though, it was the Terras that finished the stronger side to secure the three points and they could have had another goal in the closing stages had Jamie Skinner showed more composure at the far post.

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *