Bedford Town
Starting Line-Up
Dioop (Lester)
Moli (Bamford)
Unused subs
FA Trophy
2nd Qualifying
The New Eyrie
Kick Off
Kelly 16, Yetton 38, 55
Shephard 45
Bedford Town
Sambou 25
Bedford Town
Sent Off
Bedford Town
A Walters
Starting Line-Up
Matthews (Boore)
Thomson (Molesley)
Shephard (Copp)
Unused subs

Yetts at the double as Weymouth beat Bedford

WEYMOUTH showed their class to comfortably cruise into the next stage of this season’s FA Trophy, with a resounding victory over Bedford at the Eyrie.

Terras’ chief Jason Matthews asked for a professional job from his side in the build up to the contest and that is exactly what he got thanks to a Stewart Yetton double as well as goals from Chris Shephard and Adam Kelly.

Matthews showed his loyalty to the team that delivered a 3-1 victory at Merthyr Town last Saturday, naming an unchanged starting XI from that fixture.

With the Terras’ chief declaring himself fit following a heel injury picked up during that game, he also named number-two keeper Steve Boore, who featured against Poole Town in midweek, among the substitutes as a precaution.

Midfielder Billy Lowes also returned to the visitors’ squad of 16, midweek match-winner Mark Molesley also had to settle for a spot on the bench.

Bedford sat 13th in the Southern League Central Division prior to kick-off, a level below the Terras, having not won since their cup triumph over Northwood two weeks ago.

And although they survived an early scare in the opening stages, Weymouth’s first opening came after 12 minutes.

Shephard, who slotted home a free-kick to level things up against the Martyrs last weekend, lined up another effort from 30 yards which flew wide of the mark.

After Kelly’s dangerous delivery was dealt with and Dean Evans saw a header go close, it was the former who broke the deadlock with 16 minutes gone.

He left fly from around 20 yards out and slotted the ball home to notch his third goal in as many games and put the Terras in the box seat.

Matthews then showed no signs of injury as he saved well from the hosts a minute later and Kelly then almost got his second.

Full of confidence from his earlier goal, he hit a vicious shot which ricocheted off an upright and away to safety.

But, just as Weymouth looked dominant, back roared Bedford with a strike from out of nowhere.

An attempt from range by Solomon Sambou beat chief Matthews to put the Eagles back on level terms.

Pat Baldwin then received a caution for a foul and the home side almost turned the game around as they went close from the resulting free-kick.

But the Terras restored their advantage prior to the break and it was skipper Yetton who struck.

Yetton, who told Echosport in the build up to the contest that he was enjoying playing as part of a front two, got enough on an effort which trickled into the net to make it 2-1.

And adding to his goal tally shortly before the break was playmaker Shephard. He applied a neat finish to bag a third for the visitors, who went in at half-time with a commanding advantage.

With just under 10 minutes gone in the second half, Matthews then removed himself from proceedings with number-two stopper Boore introduced. He had just stepped onto the pitch when the Terras increased their lead.

Shephard’s initial shot was parried into the path of Yetton, who was on hand to virtually put the tie to bed at 4-1.

Boore then pulled off a fantastic save to keep the Terras’ three-goal advantage with just less than 30 minutes to go.

Striker Ben Thomson was taken off by the visitors in place of Molesley. Evans and Shephard then combined to go close for Matthews’ men once more.

Jordan Copp was introduced in place of Shephard during the latter stages and, although he received a late booking, the Terras saw the game out with relative ease.

Dorset Echo

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *