Tubbs’ double in cup victory



A DEBUT brace from Matt Tubbs helped Weymouth to a 3-0 win over Wimborne Town in their BigFreeBet.com Challenge Cup first round tie at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Tubbs’ goals, either side of a Harry Baker strike, were all assisted by Josh Wakefield and saw the Terras progress to the second round with few dramas.

Weymouth made six changes to the side that started the 2-1 defeat to Chelmsford City on Saturday.

Tubbs started up front, while there was a place in the team for former Poole Town and Gosport Borough goalkeeper Jordan Seabright.

Experienced striker Tubbs has joined Weymouth on a month-long loan deal from National League South side Havant & Waterlooville.

The forward initially joined the Hawks on a free transfer from Eastleigh this summer but becomes the second Hawks player to move to the Bob Lucas this season after Jordan Rose’s month-long spell.

The other four changes came in the shape of Tiago Sa, Dane James, Sean Stewart and Baker.

James appeared for the Terras in the middle of a loan spell at Bridport, while Liam Farrugia kept his place on the bench.

Captain Jake McCarthy was also named on the bench, but Lewis Harvey missed out.

Meanwhile, Wimborne fielded ex-Terra Luke Burbidge and former Dorchester duo Luke and Tobias Holmes in their starting line-up.

Wakefield almost got the Terras off to the perfect start in the second minute, blasting over a shot after a Tubbs cross was only half-cleared.

Wakefield had another chance on the angle moments later, but he could only find the side netting after good vision from right wing-back James.

After a dominant opening spell, Weymouth cashed in when a Wakefield cross from the left perfectly picked out the unmarked Tubbs, who nodded home from 12 yards.

But Wimborne almost equalised immediately when Sam Bayston blazed over after the Terras failed to deal with a trickling Burbidge cross.

With the away side growing in confidence, Tobias Holmes was the next to try his luck, but an ambitious backheel was blocked at point-blank range by Seabright.

Luke Holmes then stung Seabright’s palms with a 20-yard drive as Wimborne took a foothold in the game.

Weymouth replied when Charlie Davis’ free-kick forced an excellent save from Gerald Benfield low to his right.

The visitors finished the half strongly when Ben Walker’s drive skidded underneath Seabright for a corner, before Burbidge saw an effort saved from an acute angle.

Following a tepid 20-minute opening to the second period, Wakefield and Tubbs played a smart one-two, allowing Wakefield to curl a shot inches wide of the far post.

Two minutes later Weymouth got their second goal with a fabulous move. Davis picked out Wakefield who found Baker in acres of space, enabling him to turn and lash a shot past Benfield.

And Tubbs got his second of the night when a clinical move saw Ashley Wells pick out Wakefield, who fed Tubbs to score and register his third assist of the game as the hosts safely progressed to the next round.

Speaking to Echosport after the victory, manager Mark Molesley described the game as a “good workout” for his players.

He said: “We’ve taken a lot of good things out of the game. We got some much-needed minutes into some players to top them up, and we’ve had a good look at some of our young players.

“I thought they conducted themselves fantastically well. It was a really good workout for us and I thought we got a lot out of the game.”

Terras: Seabright, James, Sa, Wells, Buckley (Spiteri 65), Brooks, Davis (Farrugia 75), S Stewart, Baker, Tubbs, Wakefield (McGrath 75). Subs not used: J Prodomo, McCarthy

Wimborne: Benfield, Walker, Cole, Maybury, Davidson, Kellaway, Francis, L Holmes (Lovell 57), T Holmes (Okumu 46), Burbidge (Bradley 46), Bayston. Sub not used: Arnold

Attendance: 205

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *