Two-goal flurry sees Weymouth down Dunstable

Brooks 42, Goodship 45+2

WEYMOUTH gained revenge for an earlier 2-1 defeat at Dunstable as a late first-half flurry saw them down the Blues 2-0 at the Bob Lucas Stadium in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Calvin Brooks and Brandon Goodship were the difference for the Terras, with the former scoring thanks to a great pass from Josh Carmichael, while the lurking latter had a goal handed to him as Dunstable’s defence switched off.

Weymouth seldom looked in trouble in a one-sided match but at times struggled when a chance was presented to them, with numerous opportunities missed, but the victory hands them back-to-back wins following the 2-0 loss at Hereford.

Terras’ manager Mark Molesley named an unchanged side to the one that beat Biggleswade Town 2-1 last week, while Mark Cooper started for Melksham Town in their 5-1 win against Clevedon Town as he continues to build up match fitness.

Nathan Harness made his debut for Dunstable Town, having been signed on loan from Stevenage with regular goalkeeper Will Hunt having been injured during the 7-1 defeat at Tiverton Town last weekend.

Kick-off was delayed to allow for a minute’s silence for William ‘Cliff’ Nugent, a former Weymouth player who passed away last month.

Dunstable briefly started on the front foot as the Terras had to work their way into the game.

Jake McCarthy had to be alert to cut out a move forward from Andrew Osei-Bonsu but despite having a good start no real chances came from it.

After 15 minutes Weymouth had grown into the match and were dominating, which would set the tone for the rest of the match.

Abdulai Baggie had the first real chance for Weymouth as a shot from outside the box curled wide.

Then, a free-kick from 30-yards out taken by Josh Carmichael provoked Harness into a good save.

Ben Thomson also shot wide from a tight angle after great build-up play from Goodship and Brooks.

McCarthy then did well to thread the ball to Thomson who charged down the right but his cross over towards Goodship was headed away by Saul Williams.

Dunstable enjoyed some good moves forward, with Ty Ward breaking through and forcing Will Dennis into a save, but Weymouth continued as the dominant team and got their desired breakthrough in the 42nd minute.

Carmichael played the ball to Brooks running into the box who just managed to get his shot off, flying past Harness.

Two minutes into injury-time Goodship bagged his 29th league goal of the season as Dunstable’s defence switched off inside the box from a cross that allowed him to calmly stroke home from six-yards out.

The half ended shortly after Goodship’s goal as the Terras took a deserved 2-0 lead into half-time.

Fortunately for the home side they picked up where they left off with Callum Buckley charging down into the box but shooting wide.

Shortly after that McCarthy forced Harness into a save with a low curling shot from 25 yards out.

Weymouth were content in possession as they looked to add to their tally without ever looking threatened by Dunstable.

Goodship then provoked Harness to come out to attempt to smother the ball from out wide but the keeper let the ball slip free, allowing McCarthy to shoot while the keeper was still out of position but Weymouth’s skipper blazed over.

Further good work from Carmichael and McCarthy saw the latter cut back to Buckley near penalty spot but the defender fired over the bar.

Weymouth had further chances to extend the lead and never looked like conceding, despite a slow ball across the box from Osei-Bonsu that Dennis easily collected being among the better chances for the side.

Late on Harry Baker had the ball in the back of the net, following a cutback across the box from Goodship but his celebrations were cut short by the linesman and soon after the full time whistle blew.

Weymouth are next in action on Saturday when they travel to Chesham United (3pm).

Terras: Dennis, Wells, Buckley, Zubar, Caze Da Silva, Carmichael (Ngalo 79), McCarthy, Baggie (Wakefield 74), Thomson (Baker 85), Goodship, Brooks. Subs not used: Davis, Boore.
Dunstable Town: Harness, Ladipo, Okito, E. Amu, Trif, Ogden, Williams, Osei-Bonsu, A. Amu, Lamptey, Ward (Black 60). Subs not used: Collins.
Attendance: 481
Referee: Lewis Sandoe

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *