In-form Rebels defeat Weymouth


Wells 24, Dobson 40, Jackman 86


WEYMOUTH suffered a tough defeat at Arbour Park against an in-form Slough Town side in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Two goals in the first half from George Wells and James Dobson, before a late goal from substitute Josh Jackman ensured the Terras went home empty-handed.

The Rebels, who have had a great start to the season, winning 11, drawing one and losing two were sitting behind the Terras in fourth before the clash.


Weymouth had secured the signing of James Hayter on Friday on a one-month loan deal from Havant & Waterlooville, who started on the bench.

Both sides had injury issues leading up to the match with Calvin Brooks and Brandon Goodship out for the Terras, and Alan Inns, Gavin James, Manny Williams and Brad Wadkins missing for the Rebels.

The game started quietly with Matt Lench forcing a save from Terras’ keeper Mark Travers after six minutes after combining with George Wells.

Wells was soon again involved in an effort as he sent a long-range shot well wide of the post.

The Terras went close to an opener after a shot from Ben Thomson deflected out from a corner, which found its way to Jake McCarthy in the 14th minute who took a good shot that had to be cleared off the line.

Charlie Davis then continued the spell of pressure with a shot that went wide as the Terras were finding their way into the game.

Despite this, the Rebels opened the scoring on 24 minutes after a great shot from distance by Wells saw the ball hit the post and go in.

The Terras went close to levelling on 29 minutes through Abdulai Baggie, who sent a 25-yard curling shot against a post.

An unmarked Chris Flood then saw a header go over for the home side after a corner to the back post as the scoreline stayed at 1-0.

Slough were pressuring the Terras well but the away side were able to keep the difference limited to just the single goal.

The pressure did tell in the end though as Dobson flicked into the net from a good cross by Warren Harris after 40 minutes.


Soon after, Dobson tried to widen the margin late into the first half but sent his shot straight at Travers.

The first period ended 2-0 to the Rebels, leaving the Terras with a mountain to climb in the second.

Hayter was sent on at half-time for Toby Down by Terras’ boss Mark Molesley as his side tried to reduce the deficit.

A shot from Lee Togwell saw Travers tested, while a good run from Baggie into the Rebels’ box ended as a ball in towards Thomson saw the home side clear as the second half began evenly.

In the 55th minute, Charlie Davis was found by Josh Wakefield but he could not find the net with his drilled shot.

Togwell and Harris both had shots blocked as Travers kept the deficit to two goals just after the hour mark.

The pressure was on the Terras at this point as Lench won possession, passed it to Togwell who had his effort blocked.

It was proving a busy day for Travers, who not long after had to tip a Lench header over the bar.

Lench for the Rebels was proving a problem but his final touch was off as a free-kick proved an easy save for Travers.

Substitute Josh Jackman sealed the win for the hosts in the 86th minute with a drive that went across Travers and into the net.

The home side were still looking for another goal as Travers had to tip over the bar from Jackman.

Wells nearly made it four with a 25-yard shot but Travers got down to push it away as the match came to an end.


The Terras are next in action on Tuesday at AFC Totton in the Challenge Cup, in a rearranged fixture that was originally rained off.

Slough Town: Turner, Fraser, Wells, Smart, Nisbet, Togwell, Dobson (Webb 71), Dunn, Lench, Flood, Harris (Jackman 84). Subs not used: Hollis.

Terras: Travers, Seaman, Cooper, Wakefield, Buckley, Down (Hayter 46), Davis (Baker 59), McCarthy, Thomson, Carmichael, Baggie. Subs not used: Sa, Stewart, Suraci.

Photo: Tim Norbury

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *