Weymouth rocked by struggling Dunstable

Young 25, Amu 66
Brooks 72

WEYMOUTH’S 10-match unbeaten spell came to an end at the hands of strugglers Dunstable Town in a 2-1 shock defeat in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier Division.

Calvin Brooks managed to reduce the deficit when his side were 2-0 down after the Blues had crafted a lead but Weymouth could not get another as their opponents claimed their second home win of the season.

The Terras made two changes from the 1-1 draw with King’s Lynn on Saturday as Jordan Ngalo, who was making his first league start, and Tiago Sa came in for Jake McCarthy and Charlie Davis.

Weymouth made a good start at Creasey Park as Brooks and Abdulai Baggie combined well on eight minutes with the latter firing a shot across goal which the keeper cleared away.

However, five minutes later, it was the Blues that took the lead, when a good move from Ryan Young saw him fire a shot across the box that went in off the back post.

Brandon Goodship nearly responded five minutes later when he got through after a mistake at the back but he hit his shot over the bar.

Weymouth were pressuring well to get back on level terms as a minute later Brooks ran clear but fired over.

Ben Thomson then found himself in space in the 33rd minute but fired wide with the home keeper beaten.

The Terras nearly bagged an equaliser in the 41st minute when Josh Carmichael took a shot from the edge of the box which slammed against a post.

Weymouth went on the attack early in the second half with Goodship but his shot went straight at the keeper.

Goodship again had a good chance a minute later but his shot was fumbled out by the keeper for a corner.

Goodship was putting in a good second-half performance but his ball across the box could not find Thomson or Brooks.

Dunstable then doubled their lead as poor work at the back let Arel Amu tap in on the 65th minute.

Brooks reduced the arrears seven minutes later with a headed effort that found the back of the net.

Another Carmichael effort tried to get the Terras level but it went wide.

Harry Baker put the ball in the back of the net with five minutes to go but he was denied by the offside flag. Into added time, Goodship was denied by a superb save to deny the Terras a point.

Weymouth will look to make amends when they face Farnborough at the Bob Lucas Stadium on Saturday (3pm).

Terras: Dennis, Wells, Sa (McCarthy 53), Zubar (Baker 68), Buckley, Carmichael, Brooks, Ngalo (Davis 62), Thomson, Goodship, Baggie. Subs not used: Boore

Attendance: 121

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *