Golden Brandon Goodship strikes late for Weymouth win


Baggie 17, Wakefield 34, Goodship 90


Roberts 70, Battie 87

BRANDON Goodship rescued a late winner for Weymouth in a furious finish that saw Walton briefly equalise after being 2-0 down at half-time in their Evo-Stik Southern Premier South meeting at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Abdulai Baggie and Josh Wakefield had handed the home side a 2-0 lead, but goals from Taureen Roberts and Jack Battie threatened to deny Weymouth all three points.

Table-topping Weymouth were entirely unchanged from their 2-1 win away at Tiverton Town on Tuesday, with a late goal from Goodship sealing all three points.

Prior to the match, it was announced that the club had successfully appealed Harry Baker’s straight red card, which he picked up in the 1-1 draw with Swindon Supermarine, and as a result he began the match on the bench.

After four minutes Goodship released Wakefield who struck a low shot that was saved low to the left of Walton goalkeeper Denzel Gerrar.

Walton had the first gilt-edged chance of the match when the ball came to Isaac Sarpong six-yards out but the ball fell just behind him and Weymouth were alert enough to clear the ball away.

The early energetic pressing from the home side was paying dividends, frequently forcing the visitors into mistakes and helping to maintain possession.

Ryan Sheckleford then whipped in a cross across the face of goal but Roberts could not find a touch.

Baggie handed the Terras a deserved lead when he received the ball from Goodship on the edge of the box, shrugged off a huge number of challenges but somehow found a way through to slot past Gerrar after 17 minutes.

Weymouth had to stay alert however, as James Ewington raced through one-on-one with Seabright, but Sherring made it back to clear the danger away expertly.

The home side doubled their advantage after 34 minutes however, when Goodship lifted a ball over to Wakefield inside the box who gleefully slotted into the right-hand corner to raucous applause from the fans behind the goal.

This seemed to immediately inspire the Terras, as Wakefield fired a ball wide before Walton had to again be alert to defend against the surging Weymouth attack.

Late chances for Weymouth almost made it three at the break, with a Goodship free-kick almost spilled over the line by Gerrar before Wakefield saw a vicious swerving shot saved from inside the box on the stroke of half-time.

Weymouth started the second half as they ended the first, by nearly scoring.

Goodship saw a shot from wide inside the box saved by Gerrar, who almost parried to Brooks.

However, Walton made a hash of the clearance which allowed Baggie to recycle the ball and slip in Goodship who crossed the ball just over the head of Brooks.

Walton then had a couple of good chances but Roberts fired the bouncing ball over the bar, while Dan Bennett slipped while taking his shot and saw it fly over.

The game quietened down as Walton were not able to create clear-cut chances, while Weymouth were incisive yet not able to make the most of the opportunities coming their way.

Wakefield almost broke the quiet spell when he shrugged off a challenge and fired in a 30-yard shot which evaded Gerrar, but trickled the wrong side of the Casuals’ post.

Moments later the post again proved an obstacle when Goodship fired wide of the far-post from inside the box.

However, the Casuals would get a goal back through Roberts who fired in after the ball had rebounded to him from Seabright’s smart stop.

Walton then began attacking fiercely as the home side’s defence were given a thorough examination.

In a barnstorming finish the Terras then should have scored when Goodship elected to go it alone as opposed to pass to a waiting Baker.

Casuals then equalised through Battie a moment later to raucous celebrations.

However, Goodship was there to bundle in to send the home crowd into frantic applause in the 90th minute and as a result Weymouth remain top of the table.

Weymouth are next in action when they travel to Taunton Town in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy on Saturday (3pm).

Terras: Seabright, Wells (Ngalo 46), Sa (Buckley 60), Carmichael , Zubar, Sherring, Wakefield (Baker 81), McCarthy, Brooks, Goodship, Baggie.

Subs not used: Thomas, Bentley

Walton Casuals: Gerrar, Mills, Kelly, Hicks, Ellison-Hustwick, Farrell (Battie 46), Ewington, Sarpong (Luc 81), Bennett (Wood 81), Roberts, Sheckleford.

Attendance: 808

Referee: Lewis Sandoe

Walton Casuals
Shots On Target
Shots Off Target
Fouls Conceded
Yellow Cards
Red Cards

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *