Mark Molesley praised his side for the patience and bravery they showed in Weymouth’s 2-1 victory over Salisbury on Tuesday night.

The win took the Terras back to the top of the Evo-Stik South Premier South table and three points clear of Salisbury.

Weymouth had to come from a goal behind when Salisbury responded with a goal after an extended break in play. Jordan Seabright was stretchered off for Weymouth, but Molesley was hopeful that the goalkeeper’s injury is not as bad as first feared.

Speaking to Molesley said, “It looks like Jordan Seabright had concussion, he went off to hospital but hopefully it’s just a straight forward concussion.

“It was an unfortunate one, he obviously just got caught by the striker and took a nasty hit to the head, so he went off for a precautionary check-up at hospital. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.”

Molesley admitted he was frustrated with the way Weymouth conceded and that they did so in similar manner to the first goal at Kings Langley last Saturday.

“It was really frustrating to concede the first goal,” Molesley said. “It was quite a long break in play and we were on our heels from the throw-in. We didn’t defend it properly and that cost us Saturday and cost us against Salisbury.

“We need to try and work hard to eradicate that but at the same time the lads responded in true Weymouth fashion, you can’t keep us down. If anything it gave a little bit of a kick start and we got ourselves going again.”

Brandon Goodship got Weymouth’s comeback underway when he converted a penalty in the 49th minute, his 14th goal of the season. But it was Ben Thomson, who made his 150th appearance for the club last Saturday, who secured the three points with his strike in the 87th minute.

“I’m Delighted, it was a big three points for us,” Molesley continued. “It’s very early on in the season still, there is a long way to go but it is another three points chalked off against one of our rivals.

“I was delighted with the lads’ application, they were patient, they showed what character and resilience they have. They don’t give up and keep going, and they are brave on the ball.

“The way we play we are quite open and expansive and we keep the ball well. In a pressure game where there was a lot riding on it they didn’t hide, they wanted the ball all the time, they kept moving and probing and got the rewards in the end, so I’m really pleased with the boys.”

Ben Thomson was named as man of the match after the game, Molesley told that he feels that Weymouth played to Thomson’s strengths in the second half.

“We were brave on the ball, we kept looking to play. I feel in the second half we got Thommo into positions we wanted to more, I think in the first half we starved him a little bit of service.

“But the second half we got him in the game a lot more and he showed what a dangerous animal he is.”

1,006 people turned out to watch Weymouth on Tuesday night and created an atmosphere which Molesley described as ‘electric’ saying, “It was a fantastic atmosphere under the lights on a Tuesday night, it was great and I think the boys really responded to that, an electric atmosphere once again!”

Weymouth’s next fixture is this Saturday when they face National League South side St Albans City in the Buildbase FA Trophy at the Bob Lucas Stadium, a game which Molesley said both himself and the players are looking forward to.

“It’ll be a very tough game pitting our wits against a team in the league above, they are a good St Albans side. These are the challenges we want, we want to be testing ourselves against the best we can.

“All of us have got aspirations that we want to keep bettering ourselves. We want these tests, so I’m really looking forward to the game, as the players are. We’ve got Thursday to prepare and it’s one to look forward to.”

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *