Weymouth vs Hartley Wintney



Late Warren Bentley strike rescues point for Weymouth


Zubar 80, Bentley 90


Kpohomouth 40, Campbell 77

WARREN Bentley smashed in late on to seal a comeback for Weymouth from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 against Hartley Wintney in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier South.

The Terras’ forward bagged his first for the club to deafening roars of approval from a grateful crowd as they sealed a dramatic turnaround, with Stephane Zubar also netting for Weymouth.

Michael Campbell and Jacques Kpohomouth had given the visitors a 2-0 lead after 77 minutes before Weymouth struck back.

Prior to the match Weymouth announced the loan signing of defender Sam Sherring from Bournemouth but the move had been completed prior to the closing of the loan window back at the end of August.

Sherring, 18, began the match on the bench but came on for Zubar after 85 minutes.

The first half was a frustrating one for the Terras.

Early promise through great play from Jordan Ngalo faded into a gritty fight before frustration as Hartley took the lead late on deservedly.

The first 20 minutes were all Weymouth however.

Brandon Goodship had early chances in the first 10 minutes, but saw his shot cannon off the Row’s defence before another effort had to be saved by Paul Strudley in the visitors’ goal.

Ngalo then almost found Abdulai Baggie but Joshua Webb was able to clear the danger.

The best opportunity came when Josh Wakefield played a great ball over the top to Goodship who raced at the Row defence with just one to beat.

However, he was forced wide so opted to pull the ball back to Baggie who laid the ball off to Wakefield on the edge of the box whose shot was easily blocked away.

Ben Thomson then earned a corner for Weymouth through pure pressure leading the Hartley defence to miscue a pass to their goalkeeper and instead put the ball out for a corner.

From the set play Strudley had to do well to tip the ball away and prevent Josh Carmichael from getting a head on the ball.

Thomson then put a cross in which Goodship could not keep down.

Hartley began to grow into the match and their intent was made clear with Jack French scarcely concealing his frustration at ovehitting a cross.

A free-kick given away by Antonio Diaz for a foul on Kpohomouth saw the ball well placed in the box but Steven Noakes could not get the touch to put it past Weymouth goalkeeper Jordan Seabright.

Hartley then had a great chance when Campbell bore down on goal with just Seabright to beat but he horribly messed up his shot which went well wide.

However, a great move between Tyron Smith and Louie Paget should have produced a goal as the latter fired at Seabright when bearing down on goal.

However, from the edge of the box Kpohomouth rattled in a shot past Seabright to hand the visitors the lead in the 41st minute.

The Terras briefly rallied and Thomson almost put the ball past Strudley when he raced off his line but he could not find a firm hit on the ball.

The first half ended with the Terras 1-0 down but they came out fighting in the second half.

Again the early moments of the half were dominated by Weymouth, without clear cut chances falling to the Terras.

Baggie raced into the Hartley box and ran across the box and looked for a chance to pull the trigger but could not find it until he got a shot off which was immediately blocked.

However, Weymouth recycled the ball and eventually a shot flew in from Wakefield which was deflected into the hands of Strudley.

Despite the good start Hartley extended their lead when Campbell tucked the ball over Seabright and into the net.

Their two-goal cushion did not last long however, as Baggie fired through a crowd before Zubar took a touch three yards out to take it into the Hartley net for his second goal in two matches.

The match then exploded into life as the game enjoyed a blistering end.

The Terras poured forward energised by the goal and got a deserved equaliser when Bentley tapped in at the far post to fierce cheers from the home crowd.

Mark Molesley’s men were not hanging about, as they hunted a winning goal which almost arrived when Goodship saw a late effort slam against the Hartley defence.

Weymouth next face a trip to Staines Town on Saturday, September 29.

Terras: Seabright, Ngalo, Wells (Bentley 61), Carmichael (Davis 72), McCarthy, Zubar (Sherring 85), Baggie, Wakefield, Thomson, Goodship, Diaz

Subs not used: Thomas, Kendall.

Hartley Wintney: Strudley, Kpohomouth, Paget, Smart, Noakes (Ball 66), Smith, Eagle, French, Campbell (Baxter 80), Ciardini, Webb (Herbert 70)

Subs not used: Cook.

Attendance: 740


Date Time League Season
15th September 2018 3:00 pm Southern League Premier 2018/19


Bob Lucas Stadium
Wessex Stadium, Radipole Lane, Weymouth DT4 9XJ, United Kingdom


Hartley Wintney2Draw

KO 61 72 85 FT